Under stocked vs over stocked...

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I typed this up on the iPhone and not going to waste it :). Civility please...

There are two main arguments against overstocking:

1) water quality
2) fish size and behavior.

As far as water quality is concerned, the most basic is management of nitrogen cycle. Secondary are such factors as PH, hardness, and for some fish, water flow. Those can be achieve through careful planning and proper filtering. Yes, it will take more effort than an under stocked tank, but it is manageable.

The argument of catastrophic failure is also used against overstocking...I myself, in 17 years of fish keeping, had one such event. It was a heater problem, and overstocked or not, the fish would have died.

As for the fish themselves...there is a point where the tank is too small for a given fish. Once moving beyond that size, then fish behavior gets to be taken into account. There is no one size, philosophy fit all approach.

For example I have yet to see an reasonable sized under stocked petrochromis or tropheus tanks. ;)

I am flame proof, but I rather not see a locked thread again...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Fully agree with your last statement on africans.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hopefully this doesn't go the way of the other thread that seems to have vanished before I could finish making my post.

cl0wn knife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
Oxford
over stocked/crowded tropheus tanks just looks awesome though so its a bonus that they work better that way :p

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Depends on your financial status, don't buy /\/\0NSTER fish if you can't afford /\/\0NSTER tanks!

I'm one for understocking but in the past at times i had no choice!

A lot of people buy fish on impulse, and most lfs workers give inadequate info regarding tank size and compatiblity!

I have a 2.5" rhom in a 90 all by himself just because he's very active and I think its awesome, but then I have a 125 with 5 adult red belly Piranha which I consider just a tad overstocked when they get bigger.

I'd much rather see under stocked tanks with healthy and active fish with no aggression issues. That's just me.

*Go S. Vettel #1 RBR! 3 BACK TO BACK WDC AND CONSTRUCTERS! :cheers:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have never been a fan of overstocking tanks and the most fish Ive had in a tank at one time was back when I was into African cichlids.I would rather over filter than over stock.

cl0wn knife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
Oxford
im not one for overstocking either, but in the case of Tropheus you overstock over filtrate and do water changes several times a week to keep them happy, i keep them myself and a tank full of them is an impressive sight.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I'm not a fan of under stocking but i'm also not a fan of over stocking. I like to keep more fish in a tank so I just di water changes to compensate.

Deathinnumbers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Stuck in a nano cube
I enjoy both and can handle both.I have a overstocked redbelly tank were i do daily w/c on and they growing big and look great.But also i'm setting up a 90g tank for a 3" rhom lol.Will plant it heavy and add lots of small fish but still.Its up to the Keeper
Its ur fish do what u want

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Ppl may look at it differently though. Depends on what's your standards on being overstocked? IMO 7-8 monster fish in a 500+ gallon tank isn't overstocked but to some ppl it is. Example 1 top fish, few middle fish and few bottom fish all capable of reaching the 1.5-2.5ft mark. Also in my example none of these fish reach arapaima, gator gar sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store