Keeping small cubans

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
I imported abunch ofsmall cubans. But during nights i have been loosing one every night. They eat very well and i have qt and treated all the feeder white clouds. All the dead ones have fat bellys. So i tried not feeding them for. 2 days and i didnt loose any. I feed tiny mp that day and lost. 2 that night.Is their such thing as them eatting themselves to death. Or anyone have experience keeping small cubans?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
What are you keeping them in? Did you cycle the aquarium beforehand? What is the pH, nitrate, etc.? What substrate are you using, if any? What do you have for filtration?

Cuban gars are the most fragile gars, so stability is key to keeping them alive. They also need to have food available at all times at such a small size.

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
They are in a 75gl with a fx 5. System has been running for quite some time. I believe they are eatting them self to death as crazy as that sounds. I am going to split them up into groups into hanging baskets and see if i can control their food intake and see if that will help. Still could use some cuban gar experience?!?!

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
When I've raised out cubans I had them in a 20L. Temp around 80F. Argonite substrate on the bottom. Daily partial water changes, with feeders constantly in the tank. Usually would toss in 100 rosies, then wait till that number got low before ading more.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
When I've raised out cubans I had them in a 20L. Temp around 80F. Argonite substrate on the bottom. Daily partial water changes, with feeders constantly in the tank. Usually would toss in 100 rosies, then wait till that number got low before ading more.
for reasons i don't fully understand yet, and we have made plenty of educated guesses in the past which are probably on track, that aragonite substrate is definitely key with raising YOY Cuban gars. when i had some moderate mortality with the groups we were bringing in, the aragonite substrate addition "magically" fixed all the problems. it comes down to stability and pH, but either way, it can't hurt to try, especially if you are losing a lot of very expensive fish.--
--solomon

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
i will give it a shot how much should i put in a 75 gal?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i put 20lbs in my 40breeder for my cubans. i have 20lbs of cruched coral in my 180gals sump for my cuban now. you should see what it takes to get the ph right and stable. i would start with 20-30 lbs of sand then go from there.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i will give it a shot how much should i put in a 75 gal?

i put 20lbs in my 40breeder for my cubans. i have 20lbs of cruched coral in my 180gals sump for my cuban now. you should see what it takes to get the ph right and stable. i would start with 20-30 lbs of sand then go from there.

i agree, start with 20-30 pounds and leave it at that for at least a week or so and see if anything stabilizes in terms of survival. if you can get the "African cichlid sand" that is aragonite sand that is black and white, that's the kind i always use and has worked well for me for many years.

LINK:
http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Ecc...an/dp/B0002DH0X0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

good luck, keep us posted!--
--solomon

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
pics?;)

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
can i get away with cushed coral? or should i put in the sand ?if sand can i put it in a fine net media bag? thanks for ur guys imput i appreciate it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store