Should i do a water change?

golum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
UK
So i recently bought 4 African dwarf frogs on Saturday,
one of them while in the bag was floating around at the top lazily while the others were at the bottom , and when i acclimated and put him in the tank he was hanging around at the top near some tall plants. Then Monday morning i woke up to see he was floating around the top, i tapped him and attempted CPR but he was gone. :(
2 of them are doing excellent and have a good appetite while another one keeps hiding all the time. Ive heard i should do a water change if something dies in the aquarium, the tank has been cycled and i feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, 26 degrees centigrade and they are the only inhabitants with plenty of hiding space.
Why did one of the adf's die and should i do a water change because of his death (i gave him a burial as he was the first thing in my tank to die :confused:).

majorhavok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2012
Left Coast
Need more info. What is your w/c routine schedule and what are your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate currently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Need more info. What is your w/c routine schedule and what are your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate currently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1. When in doubt though, I always do a water change.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
A water change never hurts. Sometimes things just die. They dont acclimate well, you purchased a sick or weak specimen etc etc. There are a number of things that could have happened. If the other 2 are feeding well and all 3 are healthy, I wouldnt stress too much about the loss. When something dies in the aquarium, the process of decay deteriorates water quality and releases ammonia and the NOs. Something like a small frog overnight probably wont change your water chemistry that much. Just check your water parameters and do a small WC if you are concerned

golum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
UK
Well my new plan is about 6 litres changed a week, i dont have a water testing kit. Should definately get one though.
I will do a 20%water change now...hmm i guess i did get 2 weak specimens and two tough ones. Thanks

icantquit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI (53218)
Id say, if you have to think if you should do a water change or not... Id say do it anyways...wont hurt the fish....unless its a newly establish tank...

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Well my new plan is about 6 litres changed a week, i dont have a water testing kit. Should definately get one though.
I will do a 20%water change now...hmm i guess i did get 2 weak specimens and two tough ones. Thanks
A testing kit is always a good tool to have for a new guy. This is probably a sin for MFK, but to be honost I dont even own a kit. As long as you dont overstock and keep up with regular weekly WC and have good filtration, your water should be fine. BUT, if you ever have a problem, testing your water should be the first thing you do. Alot of problems and diseases can be directly linked to bad water. Most experienced guys understand where their water quality stands, but lets be realistic. This is a time consuming hobby, and life gets in the way. Always being able to do a regular WC just doesnt happen, so you should still test your water. Its quick and lets you know if your water quality is slipping

majorhavok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2012
Left Coast
I know you mentioned in the OP that the tank had been cycled, but the chem tests are fantastic to verify your pets aren't being poisoned. the API FW master kit is like $35 and a great investment for most, but especially new fishkeepers.

Also make sure you are using a good water conditioner such as prime.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store