Vortech MP40w too much for 28g cube????

Sti

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Virginia
hey everyone. I have my JBJ HQI 28g nanocube that I just bought a Vortech MP40w ES powerhead for and I'm starting to think that the MP10 might be a better option for my tank. I have not set it up on my tank as its still all sealed up but what do you all think? Should I use the MP40 on like a low setting on my tank, trade for the MP10, or is a vortech pump just too much for my cube? I'm actually cycling the tank right now but I will give stocking plans.

2x false percula clowns, 1x pygmy white banded wrasse,1x yellowheaded jawfish, maybe 1x catalina goby, 1x porcelain crab, 1x coral banded shrimp or red fire shrimp, I wish I could do a harlequin shrimp but I don't think I can get starfish readily enough to keep it fed. As car as corals I would like to do zoas, frogspawn, acans, ricordias, bubble coral, and possibly the potential for some SPS higher up in the water column later down the road of coral keeping. It would be a shame to have the lighting that I do (Original HQI hood from JBJ + 2 actinic supplement lights) and not do some SPS. Anyways any suggestions as far as the pump or anything else for that matter is much appreciated.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I have no personal experience yet since my JBJ cube is still sitting in the box, but from all the research I've been doing the MP10 is more than enough. If you read some of the nano-builds for the JBJ 28 of nano-reef.com and reefcentral.com then you'll see that the MP10 tends to be the preferred powerhead for that tank. Even though its smaller many people say that they can't run it over 50-60% depending on their scaping and corals.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
the beauty of the vortechs is they're adjustable, but if you have the option to get your money back on the 40 and buy the 10 go for it

Sti

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Virginia
Yea I think I'm going mp10 since most people are using those on my tank at nothing above 75%. I love Vortech powerheads

jfritts91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
Marietta, GA
Seems the thread has been inactive for a while, but thought I'd drop my two-cents. Go for the Mp10, if memory serves, it's rated from 2-55gallons, whereas the mp40 can handle something like 200+gallons. Adjustable or not, the Mp40 would be far too much flow for the tank that you have.

Spydr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
NYC
Stick with the mp 40 just dial it down
i got one on a 40 breeder dialed down works great

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store