Sump VRS Canister

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Im interested in hearing your arguements on what is better for a FOWLR tank.

I know soem cans can be nitrate factories because of lack of water flow. Some would recomend a UV sterilizer along with it.

But the price diffrence in sump and cans are crazy ! So I have a 125 Gallon tank a Can that is rated for 100 gallons... Im nearing the day to when I put Salt water in the tank, waiting a week putting in live sand, crushed coral sand, waiting a week putting in live rock... I plan on using about 40 lbs of live rock and sticking some lace rock in there aswell....

But yeah, what do YOU prefer for a FOWLR tank....

Mind you Ive ran a 125 fowlr before but I had an FX5 so, yeah might run into troubles with this one. Ive also had a 10 nano and a 35 both reef tanks...

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Ill be honest... I wouldnt even mess with a canister. Sumps are the way to go. 40lbs of LR is low though. I would atleast double it. Lace rock doesnt give much surface area for the bacteria to grow so i wouldnt count it in your total weight.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Canisters aren't considered nitrate factories due to their flow. It is because they don't harbor the bacteria to finish off the nitrogen cycle (to nitrogen gas). Even though you will only have fish in it, you are still better off setting it up like a saltwater tank rather than a fresh water one.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I bult my sump for about the same price as an FX5 with shipping and media and it flows about 2500 gph holds all the media I could ever want and changing the socks takes about 2 minutes.....oh yeah, and it adds about 60-65 gallons of water to the system. Sumps all the way.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Sump is definitely a nice thing to have. #1 advantage is that it is increasing your water volume, quickly followed by #2 which is that it allows you to hide almost all of your filtration.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Homemade sump is aaaalot cheaper than any canister imo. Also easier to maintain and keep ur salt levels stable. I run canisters and h.o.b's on my small salt setups but highly recommend a sump for ur 125. Hang on skimmers are garbage aswell so this eliminates ur canister option. Will it work yes, just not as good as a sump with skimmer. Salt sumps are a joke, you dont even need media, just a good skimmer. Euro/reef/dynamics skimmers or bust! Only piece of equipment you truely need. Also i have 50lbs live rock in my 197 so the 40lbs. You plan will be enough to get you goin. You can always add more. Less rock will take you longer to cycle thats the only downfall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
ok sweet so basicly jsut some mech filtration and a skimmer, maybe a compartment with soem live rock and one for heaters and other things ? I could sell my can and build a sump, im fairly handy when it comes to things like that... my buddy has a 75 that I could snag.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I run a 75gal. sump on my 120 and its always super clean. The sump only contains 4 blue mech pads, a sponge, Euroreef ins-100 skimmer and a 18W uv. Almost empty by my own freshwater standards, but the skimmer alone would do the job. If your going to spend money on anything for a salt setup it should be the skimmer. I look for used or re-furbed skimmers to save money, but other than that theres really no way around paying for a good skim. If you cant find a used one look into "reef dynamics ins 100" and this should be more than enough for a 125. Reef Dynamics is the new company for Euroreef. There basically the same and the best on the market for a decent price. $250 for the model you need but worth every penny. It sucks to bite the bullet and pay for a skimmer but youll be happy in the end. I tried to save money and started with seaclone and eshopps brand skimmers and there just junk. They work for a day and are super inconsistent. My 2 Euroreef and 1 Reef Dynamics skimmer pull a nice dark skim on a daily basis and never have issues. Not sure if someone else has a good brand for cheaper, hopefully theres some more opinions.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I ran a 80 gallon sump filled with mud on a 240 that worked really quite well. Didn't cost much as I used an old aquarium with sponges some plexiglass baffles, mud tank heater skimmer, back to tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store