Arowana drop eye has anybody cured it

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
I've had quite a few different Arowana's including silver , red banjar & RTG & never had any problems, I managed to save up to buy a 24K Goldenhead after a month or so I have noticed he has slight drop eye in one eye.

I've read quite a lot about it before & after I bought the fish but I am wondering has anybody managed to cure drop eye in Arowanas

If you have had this problem & managed to cure it please share your experiance here

Thanks

K_Cichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
love to know more as well if someone has cure for DE. I have never heard or read that DE can be cure but it can be prevent by not feeding them with foods that contain too much fat.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have a 30" black. No drop eye at all. I don't think blacks get it? Imo drop eye is genetic from captive breeding. Black aros are wild caught. No drop eye.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
I don't think it is due to diet as he has being eating morio worms earth worms & white meat, I think if they have fatty foods too much the fish will get fat.
I put the juvenile into a 8ft tank & pulled the divider out too quickly as he seamed confident but then a week or so later my mate must of caught my fish off guard & freaked him out after that he stayed in one corner of the tank for a few weeks until I put a air stone there, he then started swimming normally again & that is when I noticed he has slight drop eye in one eye. I think it may of been down to head trauma .

lesson learned if your arowana stays in one corner of your tank put a air stone or power head there.
& don't put Juvenile Arowanas in a tank too large too quickly - he's fine in the tank now but I guess he was bound to be a bit jumpy in the first few weeks.

I'm intrested to know if anybody has corrected drop eye or will it always get worse ? It is only very slight drop eye at the moment

I thought about blanking the sides of my tank for a few months & putting floating plants or ping pong balls in.

strawwoodclaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Brighouse UK
silvers are wild caught & lots of them get drop eye, I think its due to handling of the fish & head trauma .

I had a 2ft RTG that like to let food drop to the bottom before he ate it & he had perfectly straight eyes. he was also a HUGE FAT fish

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
silvers are wild caught & lots of them get drop eye, I think its due to handling of the fish & head trauma .

I had a 2ft RTG that like to let food drop to the bottom before he ate it & he had perfectly straight eyes. he was also a HUGE FAT fish
I've never seen a large silver without drop eye. I agree with the head trauma hypothesis. Silvers are way more jumpy than blacks.

I do not agree with the fatty foods causing drop eye but thats just my opinion. I don't have data to support fatty foods but i feed my aro mice, shrimp, tilaipa fillet, massivor, crickets, and worms.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
I think drop eye is a genetic thing but other factors do contribute. Someone told me that they cured drop eye by covering the sides of the tank with a black cloth so the fish will only see light and food coming from the top of the tank. I think that will work with early stage drop eye. I guess it is worth a try.

ptownmonsterfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
portland
I owned a green a couple years ago. I bought him at 24" with drop eye on one side. After 2 months in my aquarium 6x2x21" with both end covered and fishing lures place above the tank his drop was cured. He would jump at the worms and crank baits every once in a while so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have really thick acrylic and a heavy lid. My tank was shallow too so it prevented him from jumping with full force or wanting to jump but the lures kept him interested.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Nearly impossible to cure once it has set in. Mu experience

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store