Panda Loach; Protomyzon pachychilus

blubbi

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Hi!
I just recently got those very cute Panda Loaches (Protomyzon pachychilus) but can't find a lot of info on them.
Anybody got some experience with them and likes to share it?

Clipboard01.jpg
clipboard01r3pjr.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
clipboard028uqhn.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

clipboard01r3pjr.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

clipboard028uqhn.jpg

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
similar to hillstreams. Inhabit fast flowing, highly oxygenated shallow stream. Stay small. Eats biofilms. Adult color not as pretty.

Sent from my X500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
They also prefer slightly cooler water (around 18'C), although mine have been living happily in temps of around 23'C atm with no problems and have even put on some weight...

BTW, i just noticed your also from Hong Kong... i guess you must have picked them up from Fish Street in Mong Kok...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Another thing i should point out...

If you change your tank water using a hose, make sure for both FILLING and EMPTYING the tank you cover the opening with some kind of sponge...

My Panda loaches one day decided to try and track back up the hose when i was filling my tank and i swear they are powerful swimmers for their size... one of them was literally slowly inching his way back up the hose while i was filling the tank, and if i didn't catch him in time, he probably would have made it all the way to the tap itself over 10ft away...

-EDIT-

Also, if yours start to breed, please let me know what your tank conditions are like, coz i really would love to get mine breeding to help some of the stores here start stocking them, especially since they are on the endangered species list... which i didn't find out till about a week after purchasing them...

blubbi

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Thanks for your comments! They currently live together with my Red Bees in around 21C.
I didn't get them in Mong Kok, seems like they are very rare there. Only saw them in one or two shops there. I got them from a nice store in Kwun Tong.
Good tip for changing the water, will def watch out for that!
Though breeding will be one of the goals, seems like it'll still take some while. I have a total of 8 currently but they seem to grow very slow. Only 2 of them noticably grew a little larger with their colour already changing but the other ones stayed quite small. Is that normal?
Which endangered species list are you reffering to? IUCN lists them as least concern? (http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/166101/0)

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
Never knew these existed.. I'm def going to be looking these guys up.

Had that problem with my loaches, them getting sucked up by the siphon as well as panda garras and it was a lesson well learned since the water was going out the window.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store