Cheap/Easy/Fasy indoor pond/bedstand(that's right bedstand)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
So the quick and dirty is I need more room for my growing collection of catfish. :) Since I am getting back into this big I need to save some $$ and get something built quick. So here's what I am in for.

I don't have much space for an indoor pond as I am renting a room from someone right now. The other issue is I needed a bedstand for a while now. Been just sleeping on the mattress on the floor for a few years and sick of it. SO decided I should just build one. Then it struck me!!!! I could make a tropical pond with an enclosed top that would be really energy efficient, cheap to build, and be able to support me sleeping on top of it every night. I'm not saying it will always be my bed stand, but will have to do for now if I want to keep big catfish again. So anyway the plans are for a 8' x 4' x 20" pond. I believe that calculates to just around 400 gals. When I move next spring or summer I will be building another one much larger. :) So instead of the headache of trying to put a window in this one I am just making a box and sticking a liner in it. It gets a little more complicated due to the supports for the top piece of wood that my mattress will be on. That's ok (more to come) So far I have 4 sheets of plywood, and 20 2x4s. I had to have everything cut to 4' lengths to haul it home in my car. I know no one with a truck around here. Here's some pics. I will update tomorrow, right now gonna go home and do some more work. Right now I have the base complete and looking to add the sides tonight. More pics/vids tomorrow! :) Hope this helps inspire some others to think outside the box.

On another note now I get to "sleep with the fishes" way before my time!!! lol. :headbang2

8x4 pond.png
1209121309.jpg
1209121309a.jpg

8x4 pond.png

1209121309.jpg

1209121309a.jpg

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ooooh this is gonna be good!

btw this is probably better suited for the indoor pond section...

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Howre you going to see them? :p also wouldnt the humidity make your bed kinda damp? And be sure to brace the hell out of that because now instead of the pressure being just on the side walls you have pressure coming down from the top aswell

Subbed

Sent from my LT15a using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Howre you going to see them? :p also wouldnt the humidity make your bed kinda damp? And be sure to brace the hell out of that because now instead of the pressure being just on the side walls you have pressure coming down from the top aswell

Subbed

Sent from my LT15a using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks. I've already thought all of this through. :) just watch and see. The pond will be longer than my mattress and both ends are able to open. When closed it will be sealed shut except a small port for air exchange.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
DSCF3761.JPG
DSCF3756.JPG
DSCF3757.JPG
DSCF3758.JPG
DSCF3755.JPG
DSCF3753.JPG
DSCF3760.JPG

Ooooh this is gonna be good!

btw this is probably better suited for the indoor pond section...

I will be making a thread in the indoor pond section when it is finished. This is the place for the build though. :) I will add a link to the thread that has some of the other ponds I've made if it is still a sticky. I haven't been in there for a long time lol. Here's some update pics.

DSCF3761.JPG

DSCF3756.JPG

DSCF3757.JPG

DSCF3758.JPG

DSCF3760.JPG

DSCF3755.JPG

DSCF3753.JPG

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sweet, can't wait to see this thing finished. If it works out well I might make one myself.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
This should be good.

How do you plan to flow the water? Trickle filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store