Reef Tank Top

marauders30

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
san diego
I am in the process of starting up a new 40 gallon reef tank. Ive been collecting equipment and materials and will set up very soon for the cycle. I didnt get the glass top because i know of all of the issues with them over reefs (temp, salt, lighting). my main concern is fish jumping out with no top. ive seen how people use egg crate and screen covers, but i wanted to know if i could use an acrylic sheet from lowes/home depot which i will put holes in. i would probably use two pieces on the ends of the tank with a gap in the middle under the lighting which will be t5 with some led's in the back. i know metal halides get hot and could melt the plastic but i will not be using metal halides so i am wondering if this would work. anyone try this?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I would just use eggcrate. It would be enough to deter fish from jumping. Its only 12 dollars a sheet, you wouldnt have to waste time drilling holes and you would have left overs for frag racks if you did corals. I dont like using glass tops because they condensate and i prefer to let as much air in as i can for gas exchange.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store