Marble? Spotted? Florida?

brettsdad2011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
madison, wi
I ordered two marble gar from my lfs today. From what I've read marble IS spotted...however, I've also read that 99% of spotted gar sold by lfs are actually Florida...??? Any idea what heck i just ordered? They were $15 each and im picking them up Wednesday.

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brettsdad2011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
madison, wi
Grrrrr....just got done reading that the gar i just ordered probably arent even gar...beyond disappointed!

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dinhy34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Floridas are the most common gars to find at a LFS in my area. $15 would get you a 4-6" florida while $20-$25 get u 12". another "gar" that is around that price is the Asian needle nose gar/fish and Rocket/Hujeta Gar which are not true gars. If it mentioned spotted or marble then most likely a florida if ur not sure since both needle nose and rocket has no spots. GOOD LUCK!

brettsdad2011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
madison, wi
I'll be able to tell as soon as i see them...i have a longnose gar. The forked tail and small fin between the tail n dorsal will give it away real quick...still, im pretty sure that from what I've read they're not going to be gar... :mad:

Sent from my MB855 using. MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I've seen tiny floridas come in as marbleds alot... you'll know when you see them.. if they are tiny floridas getthem on guppies asap... the few i've gotten that size where actually pretty delicate fish, but once eating where very hearty.. they where just tiny and full of worms when i got them.. hopefully you'll get better luck. I always ask the LFS for a scientific name from the vendor before ordering anything... doesn't always guarantee you anything.. but it helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store