How to aquaacape a bowfin tank.

markado

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Singapore
Hey guys.

My girlfriend bought me a bowfin for my birthday present. Its still sitting in the shop while i need to get a tank ready for him.

I need more ideas from you guys. I am interested in doing a 3D background and black gravel and some driftwoods.

Hope to get some repaies here before i start aquascaping my tank.

Cheers!

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking for opinions on your idea, or asking the ideal environment for a bowfin?

EBJDguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
New Castle, DE
Don't do black gravel, do black sand... sexy... go to big al's online and get a tree trunk 3d background. They like is grassy so add lots of grass and plants. Add dirftwood to keep the water soft. Keep your water at a pH 7. Bowfin get to be 2.5' long so be prepared to house this guy in a 240 gallon tank. They dont school together, and eat other fish. Enjoy the bowfin!

markado

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Singapore
Don't do black gravel, do black sand... sexy... go to big al's online and get a tree trunk 3d background. They like is grassy so add lots of grass and plants. Add dirftwood to keep the water soft. Keep your water at a pH 7. Bowfin get to be 2.5' long so be prepared to house this guy in a 240 gallon tank. They dont school together, and eat other fish. Enjoy the bowfin!
i intend to keep him alone. his going to be in a 90Gal for awhile before i upgrade.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
i intend to keep him alone. his going to be in a 90Gal for awhile before i upgrade.
I have had numerous tanks with Bowfin, and have yet to ever see on utilize any kind of natural structure. Totally ignore driftwood, PVC, artificial plants and rock caves.

Totally shred live planted aquarium like a contracted demolition paid piece meal.

I have witnessed in many instances numerous bowfins using large sponge filters set side by side as their own version of Posterpedic memory foam beds.

Most people would say that the large sponge filters are 100X uglier in "aquascapeing" than little mermaid and sponge bob figurines combined though!

One thing that I put in a tank that they seemed to adore was natural pond scum, straw, moss mixed with plants. After they demolished the plants, they bedded down in the horrendous looking crud pile. As little as I care about tank appearance, even I could not bear the disgusting mess, and wound up removing it.

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
Never kept bowfin , based on above post I would suggest that you consider leaf litter as part of your aquascape.

Sent from mobile ! Ignore typos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store