Brown Algae Every Where need Help?

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Hey everyone,

I have a 125 with about 120 lbs of live rock that I brought dry and argonite sand. this tank has been running since july and I have had 5 fish in there for a while doing good, Since i couldnt get a sump I brought 3 bh-200 HOB skimmers that have been running and keeping the water crystal clear. i have a 48" reef capable Led marineland light that I keep on while I'm in my office. However about a month ago the rocks where all white and so was the sand and now my rock for about a month now every thing is turning brown from my glass to the rocks and sand, I change my cups from all three protein skimmers 1 every 2 days when they are fithly, but what should I do to get rid of this nasty brown algae every where. I really need help because it makes me not even want to have meetings in my office with the looks of this tank. i clean the glass but then it just keeps growing back. DAMN:irked:

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
You either have high phosphate or nitrate or both. A cleaning crew will only mask the problem. What are your water parameters, particularly phosphate and nitrate. You need to find the source of the problem. What kind of water do you use?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You either have high phosphate or nitrate or both. A cleaning crew will only mask the problem. What are your water parameters, particularly phosphate and nitrate. You need to find the source of the problem. What kind of water do you use?

+1 Brown algae is the symptom but parameters are the problem. I had a problem with brown algae but reducing bio load and increasing water changes to keep nitrates low was the only long term solution

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
How often should I do water changes. Cause I have been slacking on them. And alli have is tap water to use.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Tap water is your problem. Its loaded with phosphate and nitrate. Algae is gonna thrive in your system if you use tap. I would suggest chemi pure elite. It will help but it might not get rid of all of the phos and nitrate. The only way to really get rid of it is to use RO/DI water or distilled water.

Reactions: Fish rescue

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Got to start using at least some R/O with that tank. Maybe 50/50 .Small water changes a couple , to three times a week to get things in order. Then see how the algae is
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Tap water is your problem. Its loaded with phosphate and nitrate. Algae is gonna thrive in your system if you use tap. I would suggest chemi pure elite. It will help but it might not get rid of all of the phos and nitrate. The only way to really get rid of it is to use RO/DI water or distilled water.

X2. When temp changes outside ,water purification also change and takes time to get straight
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store