Liveaquaria says 100 gallons but i would say 50 to 75 gallons

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
a quick search would tell you that they need a MIN. tank size of 100G or more...

-EDIT-

I definitely WOULD NOT keep one in anything less than 100G to be honest... they are very active puffers which grow to about 13" or so...

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
Puffers are hogs...while a dogface only gets about 8-10" as an adult, it still needs a specialized diet of crustaceans to keep it's "Beak" whittled down. They also are scaleless and can be prone to disease in small setups. The tank size is to help dissipate the waste from their eating. While you could feasibly house one in a 55 gallon, it would be a nightmare in maintenance and could be the only fish. They are also highly predatory and may nip at other fish. Generally a puffer grows fairly slow, but it's all about water chemistry and how much you feed them...they are big time beggers...like a underwater Labrador. I wouldn't advise getting it to house in a 29 gallon AT ALL...a 47 gallon column isn't really a good fit either...they need space to entertain themselves. I would say a minimum in a single specimen setting is 75-90 gallon...it's better to let them grow into the tank then to move them around...they don't travel/ship all that well.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
How long will one be able to comfortably survive in a 47g column or a 29g biocube?
If bought as small as possible.

Impossible. Do not do that to one of the awesomest sw fish out there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store