need help with dwarf lionfish

tetraodon8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
united states
hey everyone, decided to join here for the wealth of info, anyway im having issues with dwarf lionfish. everytime i try one, they allways die a day or two after acclimation. FYI im having this issue at work, i work for a retail fish store, ive done 60-90 minute drip acclimation in a 5-10 gallon bucket. now, they all react the same way, they look and behave normally, doing their lionfish thing, some have even showen interest in food, but the next day they go belly up. i dont think my water is to blame, temp; 78-80 nitrates; less than 10 nitrites; 0 ammonia; 0 chlorine/mine; 0, the system has a protien skimmer, and a large sump. someone said it was PH shock, but what i cant figure out is why, i did lots of reasurch before getting them, and the general consesnus was that the dwarf lionfish was pretty hardy, plus i was acclimating to the general way that i know how to drip salt water fish, note ive had no trouble with any other saltwater animal, even cowfish. so im a little stumpted, any ideas?

p.s i know i have bad spelling

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
im fairly new to salt. Kept fresh my whole life. Seems like you are doing everything fine, have you had this problem with other fish ? Tried any other species of lions ? Is there any other fish in the tank ? If so what ?

tetraodon8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
united states
the only other fish in that tank was a yellow tang, i havent tried other species, mostly because of the size of the regular lions, like i said its rare for me to loose a fish there, exept when someone did a water change with freshwater, but i only lost a flame angel that time.

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
sounds like there may be a electrical current in the tank that other fish may be able to handle but the lions cannot,

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I doubt there would be that much stray voltage. I guess its possible though. Do you have a heater or powerhead cord in the tank?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Idn Ive heard some crazy stories... Ive also seen a bit of it in person. Buddy had a powerhead short and kill his tank slowly lol. Allmost a fish a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store