Anyone ever get sick from their fish??

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
I saw an episode of Monsters Inside of Me and a girl caught mycobacterium marinum from her fish tank. I couldnt find a video clip of the episode but heres a link to her story. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ving-hand-amputated-scratching-fish-tank.html. Heres the wiki link to what she had. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_marinum.

I'm not going to lie I was a little iffy when I had to do my next water change. Sometimes I dont notice that I have small cuts on my hands until after I'm washing my hands after a water change or rearranging the decor in the tank.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Oh man this is scary. You know, I've got a tiny bump on my finger that hasn't been going away (I assumed it was a callus) and now I'm wondering if it could possibly be this! Like I need more hypochondria/health-paranoia in my life.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Won't let me open the link on the phone. So she got this bacteria from an open wound on her hand or the such?

I don't mess with the tank if I have an open scratch or wound. I've always been paranoid something like this would happen!

nicka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
deleware
Wow I should have read this a 10 mins ago have a 3 inch cut on my and an I just did a massive water change on my 30 gallon sick tank .

I always get a headache when i spend too much time on my tanks, i hear this screaming from upstairs, and then sometimes, if I spend too much time on my tanks at night, when i finally get into bed I get a cold shoulder. so YES.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
she probably hadn't done any water changes.
;-)

I always have broken skin on my hands, & bacteria has occurred to me.
Once I got paranoid and slathered a cut with that liquid bandage for a couple weeks of tank work. it's probably not a sufficient barrier.
:-]

KrazEDesigns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
Canada
The fish would have had to have been infected with tuberculosis at some point in order for the rare bacteria to make an appearance. The main symptoms of fish tuberculosis are loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body, wasting, and skeletal deformities such as curved spines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store