What kind of fish, 30 Gallon Tank (Saltwater)

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hello,
I am new to the saltwater side of the aquariums, however i am no stranger to the freshwater side. I need help figuring out what kind of fish to stock a 30 gallon saltwater tank with, as I said earlier, I am a newbie to saltwater, so I need a hardy fish that is easy to take care of and low in cost. Thanks!
~sharkfinsean

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Damsels,chromis,cardinalfish are a couple hardy fish. Damsels are a little aggressive and territorial though. Chromis are community and so are banghai and pajama cardinals. There are more easy to take care of species but those are probably the easiest and most common

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
What he said ^. I had two bangaii cardinals and couldn't get either if them to take pellets. Just an FYI...IME, they are hard to pellet-break. Oh, and, to the best of my knowledge, you can't mix cardinals, go with a group of either pajama or bangaii. Don't keep them alone. I had one that I kept alone for a couple of months and he just looked like he was always stressed. They are pretty fish though...I want a group of three of them.

Other than his list, all I can add to it is clownfish, but I guess they go without saying. :) I'm new too, so don't have a lot of experience with different fish, but my flame angel appears to be pretty hardy. (I've got a 55 though, they need a lot of room, and are pretty expensive.)

What about firefish? I've never kept them so don't know a lot, but aren't they low-maintenance and fairly cheap?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Yes firefish and clownfish are easy fish to keep. Firefish are jumpers though so you need a top on your tank. I wouldnt go with angels rightt away because angels are THE most prone fish to ich. The get it like we gets colds. I would wait a while on dwarf angels to gain experience

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I have looked at the pajama cardinals and it says they are nocturnal, is this true? And one of you said clownfish, but what kind is the easiest to take care of and comes at low cost?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I have looked at the pajama cardinals and it says they are nocturnal, is this true? And one of you said clownfish, but what kind is the easiest to take care of and comes at low cost?
Pajama cardinals arent nocturnal. The easiest clownfish to take care of would be the standard ocelaris. They come in different colors, orange,black,yellow.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Are the pajama cardinals and the ocellaris clownfish compatible with each other, I know that I would have to add the clownfish last due to its aggression.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Are the pajama cardinals and the ocellaris clownfish compatible with each other, I know that I would have to add the clownfish last due to its aggression.
Not all clownfish are territorial. It depends on the fish. I added a clown 6 months after adding my first clown and they were best friends. I would def add the cardinals first though just to be sure there is no aggression. Pajama cardinals are community, they will get along

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
I did the same. I got a big female clown from a friend in Feb and in Apr added another clown and they are doing fine. There was next to no aggression from the get-go. I had more problems with my damsel and angel. I've got percula clowns, which I hear are more aggressive the ocellaris but not as aggressive as maroon. I'm not sure where skunk and clarkii's and the others fall...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store