FX5 or Odyssea CFS 14i???

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
I debating on weather I should
Get one of these bad boys for
My 180gal.... My tank is definitely not getting enough filtration (2 marineland 300 which equals to 700gph... Horrible!) so I need to make a tough decision and I need some feedback please...

FX5 is a well built machine but I just found this beast on aqua traders and the Odyssea CFS 14i has more of a cheap plastic material but has a flow rate of 1,400 gph compared to a FX5 at 900!! And is at least 50$ cheaper so it a tough decision. Anyone have this item and any opinions I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1355570448.466975.jpg

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
Oh ya and the CFS is 39" tall which I would have to put on the side of the tank but oh well. And I want to be able to remove the powerless filters so the fish can have more room.

FX5= Durable and quality
CFS14i= Cheaper and powerful

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
If money is not a issue I would get the FX5 better quality then the CFS.I would not trust the flow rate on that CFS I bet the FX5 has a better real world flow rate.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
If money is not a issue I would get the FX5 better quality then the CFS.I would not trust the flow rate on that CFS I bet the FX5 has a better real world flow rate.
I would disagree with this statement that the cfs does not live up to flow rate. I have had my cfs700 for over a year and it still pushes the water same today. If you don't own one, its really hard for you to say that statement.

To the OP, I'm getting that exact filter to put on my 350 next month I'm setting up. This cfs700 I've got has been great for me and its dead silent also. Plenty have had success with the 500 series also. If you do get it, keep us posted.

Sent from my LGL45C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Kato4000

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
I would go with the fx5 just because ive had good luck with them but I never had cfs before so cant really compare.... I am not sure if I miss understand your first post but I would keep the marineland hob running in addition to whichever canister u end up getting.

Sent from my LT26i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Joey822

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
Sparks Nevada
yep i have a cfs700 with the uv, i lve it, only probelm is the white filter always get dirty and need to change it once a month. but for the money, i say do it. I'm accualy in the same boat as ur in need filtration plans for my 180?? im thinking sump and the 14I, but ya i agree and i say mind as well do, just make sure u have space for it cuz its 35" tall!!!
I would disagree with this statement that the cfs does not live up to flow rate. I have had my cfs700 for over a year and it still pushes the water same today. If you don't own one, its really hard for you to say that statement.

To the OP, I'm getting that exact filter to put on my 350 next month I'm setting up. This cfs700 I've got has been great for me and its dead silent also. Plenty have had success with the 500 series also. If you do get it, keep us posted.

Sent from my LGL45C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
If I were you I would get the f5. The odyssey brand does not hold up in the long term. I have used their products in the past,yes the odyssey is cheaper and has a higher flow rate. However you get what you pay for.

Synomal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Idaho
FX5 better quality can have it issues to but overall it's a awsome filter, heck the motor can almost handle a small pond.

JDskinJD1989

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
South Lake Tahoe
Damn thanks guys for the opinions but I'm still having a hard time choosing... I just hope I make the right decision because I really want to lesson my WC because I don't have time the fact that I work 2 jobs plus a baby boy its just almost impossible to do it... But I'm thinking of getting the 14i plus a 36W uv bulb but at the same time I do want a filter that's long lasting and can depend on so I'll let everyone know by new years and let ya know how tone of them works!! Shout out to "Ganster" thanks for the hook up with the Azul I'll get u back ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store