Juvie spotted gars freaking out

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys. Need some some quick advice. 240 gal established tank(2 + years) 2 fx5's, ehiem pro 3, 2 AC 110's. 2 spotted gar 6", 2 motoro's 7-8", 2 retic's 5-6". All have been fine and eating great and growing. This morning noticed one of the gar was "bent" like a broken back (still eating though). Then tonight the other gar start shaking uncontrollably all over the tank. Water test great like always. Water change 30% yesterday (weekly always). Rays seem fine and normal. Feeding varied diet of blood worms, mysis, chopped night crawlers, and broke up massivore, 2 x day. Any advice would be awesome. Thnx Matt

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
I know a lot of gars will get startled for whatever reason and slam into the glass of the tank and can get spinal injuries this way and I know plenty of people who's lived fine after that. If they are still eating you have hope.

Hey guys. Need some some quick advice. 240 gal established tank(2 + years) 2 fx5's, ehiem pro 3, 2 AC 110's. 2 spotted gar 6", 2 motoro's 7-8", 2 retic's 5-6". All have been fine and eating great and growing. This morning noticed one of the gar was "bent" like a broken back (still eating though). Then tonight the other gar start shaking uncontrollably all over the tank. Water test great like always. Water change 30% yesterday (weekly always). Rays seem fine and normal. Feeding varied diet of blood worms, mysis, chopped night crawlers, and broke up massivore, 2 x day. Any advice would be awesome. Thnx Matt

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks. I hope that for the one that's shaped like a boomerang. But the one that's not, is the one that's shaking all over the place then getting blown around with the current. The stock have been together for 2 months. Is it possible to get parasites from night crawlers or trout worms. They are from a trusted bait store. IDK. I'm freakin out a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tankmasta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
florence,ky
Hey man I actually have a Julie gar that got that same thing. Just one day he was floating around upside down. I grabbed him with net then he straightened up and swam off. Next day I noticed the slouch. They say its spinal curvature and it happens too some gars. If its bad it might not fix itself. I've seen bad ones on big gars. Some good news it's been a month since when mine got it and he's actually straightened up a lot. Gars do freak out and rub noses off sometimes. Just get food in tank and try not too hang around tank too much keep distance. Hope this helps

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Maybe a cycle crash... But with that much filtration of established filters I hope not. I'll take a sample in to get the water checked. But my kit shows nothing. Also changed the water in all my other tanks 300 gal, 110 gal, 2 55 gal and nothing there. Same prime water conditioner. Concerned about the little gars for sure but much more concerned about my young rays if it is a sign of something else. Again any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated here. I've been keeping all kinds of freshwater species especially oddballs for over 20 years and definitely need some help. Thnx

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
take them to a smaller tank, 6'' gar should be kept in a tank like 30G then move to bigger tank when they get bigger. Small tank will keep the from build up speed and break their back by banging into the wall. the 55G might work but I don't think keeping them with any tankmate right now is a good thing to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store