Thinking of switching to the dark side ;)

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
So ive had freshwater for about a year now. To be honest its kind of boring now. Ive been doing a lot of research and have a couple questions. I plan on doing fowlr. First off is RODI water important or can it work without it? Ive heard mixed results..next whats a quality skimmer for 200 and under? Looking for quality but dont want to break the bank as im saving for a new car also. I understand the cycling method and how much live rock/sand. As far as stocking i was thinking predator tank? I also saw some nice sized wrasse which i hink are pretty cool, let me know what you think.

I appreciate any and all advice. thank you

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
You can do without RO/DI waters. It does make for a pristine tank though.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
You can do without RO/DI waters. It does make for a pristine tank though.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
oh okay thanks. Do you have any advice on a skimmer..i was hoping to do a fowlr with the rock and skimmer as filtration.

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
your gonna wanna look into a sump for the skimmer to go into.
Do i need a drilled tank to run a sump though?

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
no, it's much easier...but doesn't require a drilled tank.. just need an overflow and some piping.

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
no, it's much easier...but doesn't require a drilled tank.. just need an overflow and some piping.
Oh okay. i plan on researching a lot. Ill have to check out a couple specialty saltwater lfs's. So as far as stocking...was thinking 45 lbs live and 30 or so lbs dead rock. 2-3 inches of sand. what would be a good beginner stock? I want some ideas now so i can plan it better. Again thank you all

arow08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Mississippi
You can always go with CPR backpack hang on skimmer. I switched to saltwater 3 months ago and here I am back to fresh... A sump just helps with hiding equipment and maintaining water level in tank. It is way more expensive ... Initial setup is the killer along with its time consuming and a lot of maintance unless you spend a lot on equipment. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1355854480.825038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
You can always go with CPR backpack hang on skimmer. I switched to saltwater 3 months ago and here I am back to fresh... A sump just helps with hiding equipment and maintaining water level in tank. It is way more expensive ... Initial setup is the killer along with its time consuming and a lot of maintance unless you spend a lot on equipment. View attachment 859837

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah it is an expensive start. I will invest over time into affordable but good equipment to be able to take care of the tank. I realize a lot of saltwater fish are WC which is why i want to go and slow and do it right

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store