2 heaters? questions...

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
Ok i've got a 55 gallon and my temp is now at 72* i want to raise it up to about 82 maybe more since i now have ick.

but my question is

1. what brand should i buy and how much should i spend for it?

2. is putting in two smaller heaters the same as putting in one big one?

3. is it better to get the fully submersible or the one that hangs over the top of the tank?

4. how many watts should i need? (i figure about 200watts)

I'd ask the fish store but i think they'd sell me whatever they got or the most exspensive. plus their heaters had dust on them it didn't make me feel to sure about the brand or type. plus i don't feel safe asking a guy who looks like they work there just cause its an after school job.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
200wts is not enough, i would go with either a 250 or 2x 200. anything bigger than a 29, i put two heaters on because of the lenght of the tank. Marineland mankes a fully submersible heater and has a thermostate and you can set it at whatever temp you want just by looking at the temp range on the side. If you have large fish like oscars i recommend the marineland stealth, works just as well but is shatter proof. i have used both with no problems.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
get the marineland stealth, they are shatterproof, turn off if out of water and have the widest range of temperature. For smaller aquariums without sumps, 5 watts per gallon is a good rule of thumb. So you would need 250 or 300 watt heater. You can keep a stable temp throughout the tank by going with 2 150 watt heaters. Another advantage to having multiple smaller heaters is that if one does get stuck, it can't cook the tank. Where a single 300 watt on a 55 gallon, if it were to get stuck it would cook your tank.

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
i would get 2 smaller heaters becouse if you have 1 Higher output. heater that gets stuck on(can and has happon no matter how much it cost) then you or less likely to loose fish over it. I had one of my heaters get stuck on but thank goodness i had a alarm on my tank that sounded when it got over 82*. After that,i started useing 2 smaller heaters instead of 1 big heater. IMO its safer.. I use the same thought on filters,more little ones os better then one big one. If one goes out, there is another to take the slack for a while till you can get another..

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I use 2x 150W Jaeger heaters in my 55 gal.

For brand reliability, read HERE. When it comes to life-support systems in my tank, I do not choose cheap over reliable :grinno:

HarleyK

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
I have 1 Hydor 300W in my 55 with no probs fro 2 yrs now...

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
cool thanks guys. naw i don't have big fish in this tank .its only community fish. i run a power whisper filter, not sure what a sump is.

i was looking on the box of some heater and i guess by its recomendation i need at lease 220 watts.

and being that i am in Hawaii, everything cost more here. the 200 watt heater i don't know what brand was like running $57 dollars!!! it was the subersible one tho.

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
go with 2 stealth heaters. i use 2 for each of my tanks all temps are veeeeeeeeeeeery accurate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store