Super Red Salvini - The Quest for the Holy Grail

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
Hello everyone! I am in search of a strain of Salvini that has a high degree of red on females AND the males. With all the Super Red strains of different cichlids I thought it would be interesting to borrow that moniker for the title this thread as it seems descriptive of what I am trying to track down. I have raised a few different strains of this beautiful fish over the years but have not been able to find some with a very high degree of red in both females AND the males.

I found an on-line article by Juan Miguel Artigas Azas that I have referred back to many times for these beautiful fish.

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=109

In his article under the general description heading he mentions the following:

General description

“'C.' salvini is not a big fish. The maximum size I have seen in adult males is 18 cm (seven inches) with females being no larger than 14 cm (5½ inches). The females' smaller size doesn't make them less beautiful. Quite the contrary, females are more beautifully adorned by Nature. They have the brightest colors in the ventral and dorsal areas, which are decorated with a bright and attractive red color fluctuating in intensity and size depending on the geographical variant. In contrast, the males' belly color normally just show a hint of this beautiful red color. They share with the females a bright yellow base coloration but have beautiful blue highlights on the back above the lateral line and blue streaks on the head. Males from the Candelaria River in México are an exception to this rule and are as beautifully colored as the females, with intense and extended red belly coloration. Females can be easily differentiated from the males on the basis of a blue-edged black blotch on the middle part of the dorsal fin.”​

In his article he also shows a picture with a male and female showing significant red and lists them as “‘Cichlasoma' salvini in Rio Chacamax, Usumacinta, at Nututun, Chiapas, México”

Also searching the internet I found some amazing looking salvini in YouTube videos of the Rio Chacamax strain that people are raising in Europe.

I have contacted several of the well known suppliers of Central American cichlids here in the USA and have not gotten any solid leads on where to acquire some Salvini from these strains that have a very high degree of red in them.

I am reaching out to the knowledgeable folks on this forum to see if anyone knows of a source for these strains of Salvini. Anyone here in the USA raising these? Anyone know of a source for these in the USA? Any help you could provide in pointing me to a domestic source for these fish would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Patrick

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
Have you contacted the owner of those fish on YouTube? I would be interested in some as well.
I tried to contact both - they were two different people. One responded and sent me a link to this site – not sure if this is where he bought them? http://www.salvini.de.tl/Bilder/kat-22.htm

I did not pursue that route any further as I am hoping someone in the USA can supply or is raising this strain.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Wow those are nice.... I've got a pair of mostly Yellow salvini but strains with a lot of red would be interesting to have aswell.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Those are amazing salvini so I can see why you want them. I saw "red comb salvini" on the cichlid connection site is the same strain.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
wish mine was that bright mine went this colour
now shes gone more of a blue tone, hopefully her colour will come back.
I have noticed in my fish and read that the brighter yellow is associated with breeding behavior. If you can get her in the mood for spawning, she should brighten back up for you.

Those are amazing salvini so I can see why you want them. I saw "red comb salvini" on the cichlid connection site is the same strain.
Thanks for the lead on this - I will check it out!

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'd tried to look for some old photos of my pair on PhotoBucket but forgot my username and password lol. Searching through my archives...I found this old video from over 5 years ago. Uploaded it just for you lol.

The only reason I bought this pair of Salvani was because the male was sooooo nice. Almost yellow like the female but the facial colour and actual red on his stomach made him unique. Female was very nice female too. I picked this pair up from Petsmart and have seen from time to time, decent Salvani's from there. Video is a little washed out but you'll see what I'm talking about. This male was so mint and mean. Eventually my Dovii (the one I just uploaded a video of) killed this male Salvani.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPtR6HgHSk

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
I'd tried to look for some old photos of my pair on PhotoBucket but forgot my username and password lol. Searching through my archives...I found this old video from over 5 years ago. Uploaded it just for you lol.

The only reason I bought this pair of Salvani was because the male was sooooo nice. Almost yellow like the female but the facial colour and actual red on his stomach made him unique. Female was very nice female too. I picked this pair up from Petsmart and have seen from time to time, decent Salvani's from there. Video is a little washed out but you'll see what I'm talking about. This male was so mint and mean.
Thanks for sharing this. This is a nice pair with nice color, but I am looking for the strain that is over the top. It is awesome you were able to pick up some this nice from Petsmart. I always look when I go to the LFS hoping to see some nice Sal's and have over the years bought many that looked ok and never really improved much. The nicest ones I had were from a local guy who was breeding them. The nicest female was about like yours but the males had no red color in them. I have also ordered some of the Grijalva strain that has popped up. These had some different color patterns in them, but had no more red than any I have kept over the years. Sorry, I don't have any pics to share of mine - I am horrible at photographing fish and Sal's tend to be so shy most of the time it is near impossible for me to get a decend picture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store