Gar with no appitite

Alligar

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2012
Saskatchewan
Hello everyone,

About a week and a half ago I saw an add on Kijiji for a variety of "rare" large fish. I went to take a look thinking I might find one or two fish. I was shocked when I went in to his house - the tanks were filthy and smelly, and most over crowded. I came home with 5 Yellow labs, a trio of red belly piranha, a golden colored piranha, a cichlid of unknown type, and a gator gar.

I am looking for a little help with my relatively new gator gar. I am not new to fish keeping and currently have five 80-120 gallon tanks in my home:
Tank 1) 80 gallons - currently houses 8 Yellow labs, a dragon goby, a cichlid of unknown type, a small catfish and a pleco. (Including the new fish)
Tank 2) 80 Gallons - currently houses 3 red belly piranha and the golden piranha (the new group)
Tank 3) 80 gallons - currently houses 1 JD, and 2 large oscars
Tank 4) 100 gallons - currently houses 4 red belly piranha.
Tank 5)120 gallons - currently houses the gator gar

The gator gar is about 14-15 inches in length. He was in a very small (25ish gal tall tank) and it was very murky, dirty, and cold (no heater or working filter). I have set up his tank with large log hides, stones, plants, and natural colored fish rock. He has a good filter, and the temperature is at 26 degrees. I am having problems getting him to eat. The previous owner said he didn't eat for about 2 weeks before I bought him. Since I have owned him he has eaten two small feeder fish, and a pinky mouse. I have left a few feeder fish in with him. I have offered pinky/hopper mice to him and have offered small uncooked shrimp. He wont eat it. Any ideas and tips on getting this guy health and eating would be great! :feedback::help2:

spatula keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2012
Canada
Try something bloody, like a few bits of steak. When my gar didn't eat for a week a couple bits of bloody steak got them right back into it. Mine are also partial to black moores, and other fish that kinda limp around the tank.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
First off is the "golden" Piranha a Spilopluera aka mac or a
pygocentrus ternetzi which is a pygo and would be ok to shoal with red belly (pygocentrus natteri)????!!!!!

Acclimating an already stressed and possibly stunted gar can take awhile, the fact that it already ate a little is great, I wouldn't offer any food for a few days and maybe try to get it on something healthy, maybe eventually even good pellets, but for now shrimp and talapia seem like a smart move!

Either way awesome collection, that is a lot of work, maybe look into pothos (click my Sig) they will help cut nitrates 25-75% depending on the plant quantity and size thus cutting the need for wc!

And I look forward to seeing you around the piranha section, as they are my favorite fish!

:beer:

*Go S. Vettel #1 RBR! 3 BACK TO BACK WDC AND CONSTRUCTERS! :cheers:

Alligar

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2012
Saskatchewan
@FWPrawn - 26c is about 76 or 77F. So the temperatures are correct for him.

@SpatulaKeeper - I will try giving him some bloody bits of steak. Hopefully that will get him eating some more. Ill wait a few days like F1 VET said.

@F1 vet - The golden piranha looks like http://www.aquascapeonline.com/aqua...fish-piranhas-genus-serrasalmus-gold-piranha/ The privious owner had them in one tank together and they seemed to do okay (he still has 12 other redbellies). Do you feel I should separate them? I really like that pothos idea, I will have to try it out in my tanks :D. thank you for the idea :)

When you say dont offer any food for a few days, should I take out the feeder fish in the tank or are they fine left in if he wants to eat?

Alot of work? Yes. But I wouldnt have it any other way. I love my fish - got my first redbelly (which I still have) when I was 15. My interest in fish just kept growing and growing, and I am so looking forward to gradually expanding my collection. :). Though I already got my dream fish - the alligator gar. Ive been fascinated by them for YEARS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store