i think im switching to salt!

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
Well ive had my 180 for about a year now and ive had frshwater the whole time. Ive found this lady close to my house who sells everything for really cheap. I have the to unit. I have. The lights, i have a 55 gallon sump. Is there anything else that is major that i will need besides salt and the little thing? I plan on corals and would like some stock suggestions too. I'm brand new to salt so any advicr is appreciated. I also have a 55 quarantine tank. Thanks again

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
READ READ READ READ ! Also I wouldnt recomend going full on untill you get a hang of a FOWLR tank... then try spending money on corals n lighting.

Also salt takes TIME! SO DO NOT RUSH SETTING IT UP !

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
Ive been reading for months. I already have the lights
My brother had a 220 He broke down and i got the lights off of him. Freshwater is the same with time. It took me three or more months to get my tank cycles and got any fish in it. I'm a very patient person and know what i want. I alrrady do a 30% water changr everyone week so maintenancr isnt a problem for me either. I mainly concernwd about stock right now. Thanks again

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
What type of lights do you And what is the wattage? Do you have intank current from powerheads - soft corals should have a combine flow rate of at least 10x tank volume or 1,800 gph - stony corals lps 15x, sps up to 20x. The flow should be horizontal back and fourth, coming from opposing sides of the tank. A 4" aragonite substrate bed will help greatly to build de-nitrifying colonies changing nitrate to harmless nitrogen gas.

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
The lights are all different. Its one unit with t5 haylights, and moon lights. I cant remember the wattage off the too of my head. I have two power heads but i would like to get at least one more to be one the safe side. I will look into that last thing you mentioned because i don't have one. Thanks

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Your lights are gonna govern what corals you can keep - if it's a standard T5 not high output then it's the wrong reflector. If it is T5HO then your lookin at a 12 bulb unit for LPS anything less your probably stuck with softies and anemones. SPS is very hard to grow in large, deep tanks without Metal Halides or very expensive LED pendants and if your 180 has the glass top crossbar MH's are out of the question - they can crack the glass support with intense heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store