ATT: bowfin owners!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
when spooked bowfins can and will crash into the walls causeing broken spines or other problems. my bowfin just knocked itself out. it was floating upside down for 5-10 mins. it has now sprung back to life but its future is unsertain. it is now very unbalenced and not the best at bouency now. i hope it comes back, but deffinatly something to watch out for like with gars. my bowfin is 13" more or less in a 180gal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
Hope it pulls through.. they are pretty tough fish, mine has done the ' mouth open and violent headshakes' for about 5 minutes before.. no floating though...
Id dim the lights for the nite for it, hopefully less stress , bc it don't need anymore.

Sent from my PG06100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
it appears now some time after the incodent to be acting more normal. still sluggish abd with some head damage. it hit at full speed, and that caused it to hit my overflow box and get stuck for a few seconds before fliping off. it then was floating upside down until it spasumed and righted itself. it has been breathing heavally for some time but seems to be slowing down. might make it from the looks of things right now.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
it appears now some time after the incodent to be acting more normal. still sluggish abd with some head damage. it hit at full speed, and that caused it to hit my overflow box and get stuck for a few seconds before fliping off. it then was floating upside down until it spasumed and righted itself. it has been breathing heavally for some time but seems to be slowing down. might make it from the looks of things right now.

They are indeed major league glass bangers. I have always treated my Bowfins exactly like gars and staged growout tanks moving them from 20's as babies to 40 breeders as YOY Juvies to 65/ 70's at the 13ish" mark.

I kept on in a 65 and one in my deck pond to around 18". I moved the 18" from the 65 to a 90 along with a 12+" bullhead catfish (cleaner) and around a dozen or so 4" - 5" turquoise Jewel cichlids (feeders) in late spring. The Bowfin split the seem of 90 prompting me to hasten the ultimate goal to introduce them to my spring fed farm pond.

I moved both 18+" Bowfins from the 90 and the deck pond, the bullhead from the 90, the 23" LNG & a 14" albino channel catfish from the deck pond all down to the farm pond.

The large feeder jewels had me sweating bullets. I put them in a 40 breeder growout with two of the male juvie bowfins I got from you, and two 11" & 13" FL. Gars. I would have never attempted the combo except in this emergency. The Jewels are way too big for feeders for these guys, but have yet to see any issues between species.

My 16" Ornate bichir that I have with the two remaining Females that I got from you had acted as an excellent dither for quite some time in a 65 I have in my bedroom, but just recently has started occasionally nipping at either female causing massive glass banging. The femmies are close to the same size as the Bichir, but thicker. The 65 is way too small for them to get enough speed to hurt themselves, but I sure do hope that the 65 will last until spring so I can migrate them from there!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
They are indeed major league glass bangers. I have always treated my Bowfins exactly like gars and staged growout tanks moving them from 20's as babies to 40 breeders as YOY Juvies to 65/ 70's at the 13ish" mark.

I kept on in a 65 and one in my deck pond to around 18". I moved the 18" from the 65 to a 90 along with a 12+" bullhead catfish (cleaner) and around a dozen or so 4" - 5" turquoise Jewel cichlids (feeders) in late spring. The Bowfin split the seem of 90 prompting me to hasten the ultimate goal to introduce them to my spring fed farm pond.

I moved both 18+" Bowfins from the 90 and the deck pond, the bullhead from the 90, the 23" LNG & a 14" albino channel catfish from the deck pond all down to the farm pond.

The large feeder jewels had me sweating bullets. I put them in a 40 breeder growout with two of the male juvie bowfins I got from you, and two 11" & 13" FL. Gars. I would have never attempted the combo except in this emergency. The Jewels are way too big for feeders for these guys, but have yet to see any issues between species.

My 16" Ornate bichir that I have with the two remaining Females that I got from you had acted as an excellent dither for quite some time in a 65 I have in my bedroom, but just recently has started occasionally nipping at either female causing massive glass banging. The femmies are close to the same size as the Bichir, but thicker. The 65 is way too small for them to get enough speed to hurt themselves, but I sure do hope that the 65 will last until spring so I can migrate them from there!
i wasnt expecting it, all the bowfins i got were all layed back. this is the first crash it has done other then breaching hard into the top.

glad to here your bowfins are doing well. did you lose a female?

mine is looking to make a full recovery.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
i wasnt expecting it, all the bowfins i got were all layed back. this is the first crash it has done other then breaching hard into the top.

glad to here your bowfins are doing well. did you lose a female?

mine is looking to make a full recovery.

Lost one in the first couple of weeks. One of the other two females ripped her throat completely out. I was hopping the the Ornate would be tough enough and a target to divert their attention. Worked well, as the two females fight many times less then before the introduction of the bichirs months ago.

These particular two male are entirely different in their demeanor than the females in the batch were, or other males that have been migrated to the farm pond.

Hopefully a 100+ foot x 15' deep farm pond gives them enough room to "tolerate" each other!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Lost one in the first couple of weeks. One of the other two females ripped her throat completely out. I was hopping the the Ornate would be tough enough and a target to divert their attention. Worked well, as the two females fight many times less then before the introduction of the bichirs months ago.

These particular two male are entirely different in their demeanor than the females in the batch were, or other males that have been migrated to the farm pond.

Hopefully a 100+ foot x 15' deep farm pond gives them enough room to "tolerate" each other!
i think i remember you mentioning that now that you say it.

it should as long as there is enough food.

all the males i had were far far less agressive then these females! this female i got now killed every other bowfin in the group i kept.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD

an chance at some update pics of them? are the males showing good colors?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store