Ideas for fish to start with???

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
Hey all, I set up a 180g saltwater tank and I'm trying to get some ideas for fish to start with. Im definately going with a small Panther Grouper and a small Lionfish since the tank is still young and I was looking for another tough fish that will add some color. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Hey all, I set up a 180g saltwater tank and I'm trying to get some ideas for fish to start with. Im definately going with a small Panther Grouper and a small Lionfish since the tank is still young and I was looking for another tough fish that will add some color. Any ideas?

Thanks
Foxface rabbitfish, naso tang, porcupine puffer, and regal tang? I would choose only 1 or 2 from the list...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aprime11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Oregon to Florida
Why not get a big lion fish? I personally like them better than dwarfs.

I have a naso tang and clown tang in my 220g. I love how active tangs are.

Maybe get a dwarf or normal angel.

Do you like eels?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
Thanks for the suggestions, Ptrick. I am getting the Volitan Lionfish, I just meant that it will be small when I buy it. I'm going start with smaller fish that way theres less impact since the tank is still pretty new.

Any angels you know of that are particularly hardy?

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
how much live rock ? FOWLR Tank ? Filtration ?

To help the tank cycle and get a tough fish a domino damsil ! hahah lil buggers will fight anyone !

DripN.Wet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
Bloomingdale, Ohio
Depending on your budget, the Harlequin Tuskfish is an awesome FOWLR fish that provides an awesome conversation piece. There are also many wrasses that will provide you with tons of activity, loads of color and they are very hardy. The melanurus, is one of my favorites but there are many types of FOWLR wrasses that are available at most LFS. As for damsels....DON'T DO IT!!!! Contrary to popular belief you don't have to cycle a tank with damsels.

Be warry of the panther grouper though they can rapidly hit lengths of 18-20" and should have closer to a 300 gallon aquarium. They will also eat ANYTHING (fish or invert) that they can fit in their mouths. I have also wittnessed them "tasting" there keepers when they reach into the tank. Not that they will take a chuck but it WILL suprise you if it happens.

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
Im starting with 70lbs of live rock, 40lbs of base rock, a large wet/dry filter and a 175g power filter. Yes, it will be FOWLR.

I will be getting a Harlequin Tusk, they are my favorite as well but I was just nervous about starting with a fish that pricey.

So I'm thinking one of the following: a wrasse, puffer (stars and stripes perhaps?), angelfish or picasso trigger. Opinions?

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Depending on your budget, the Harlequin Tuskfish is an awesome FOWLR fish that provides an awesome conversation piece. There are also many wrasses that will provide you with tons of activity, loads of color and they are very hardy. The melanurus, is one of my favorites but there are many types of FOWLR wrasses that are available at most LFS. As for damsels....DON'T DO IT!!!! Contrary to popular belief you don't have to cycle a tank with damsels.

Be warry of the panther grouper though they can rapidly hit lengths of 18-20" and should have closer to a 300 gallon aquarium. They will also eat ANYTHING (fish or invert) that they can fit in their mouths. I have also wittnessed them "tasting" there keepers when they reach into the tank. Not that they will take a chuck but it WILL suprise you if it happens.
You dont HAVE to cycle a tank with any fish at all... fishless cycle lol... Im just saying they are hardy lil buggers get a decent size and have a cool pattern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store