Help with Pacu and New Tank Syndrome

bigpapaboots

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
Hey folks,

I have a 21 year old Pacu that I moved from a 92 galcorner to a 250 deep dimension about two weeks ago. We transferred everythingwe could but that’s a lot of new water, so I’m about two weeks into new tanksyndrome. I’ve had the initial ammonia spike and mitigated without much damageto the old boy. BUT he hasn’t eaten in nine days and I’m a bit concerned. Here’swhere I stand now…

- Ammonia is holding pretty steady at about .5ppm, but those may be slightly false reading because I’m adding two capfuls ofprime a day to help with any new ammonia.
- Nitrites are nil or none.
- Nitrates are at 40 ppm

Frankly, I’ve tried the chemical crap and bacteria in abottle stuff with little or no affect. Right now, I have him in the dark toreduce stress, ammo carb and nitro-zorb in the sump, air stones in the sump,and return jets at water surface to create a water disturbance on the tanksurface.

I’m afraid, the less I do, the better he’ll do as long asI keep an eye on that ammonia. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas onhow to get him to eat… just a little bit because I don’t wanna overfeed him inthe middle of a cycle. I’ve tried spinach with a little success but not much.

AND does anybody have any ideas on how to help thisprocess along – minus the stuff I’ve already tried, of course. Didn’t know ifthere were any new tricks up any sleeves out there. Thank for your time.

Any ideas?

Bigpapaboots… a.k.a. Curt

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
nine days seems like a long time to be off food to you.. but the pacu went through alot of stress and can go alot longer... some fish go months... .. how long was he in the 92 gal? Maybe most of his life?? So it will take time and patience ... keep trying though.. i fed my pacus tiny pieces of raw carrots.. they did not contaminate the tank as fast as other food..so you could leave a couple of pieces there for him to nibble with and maybe that will get him interested in eating again.. did you use some of the water from the tank he was in originally.. did you let the tank cycle long enough.. is he acting normal now in all the other ways.. do you have a picture... are there other fish in the tank that he isn't use to? Is anyone bothering him.. please explain as much as possible..

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Not sure what chemical crap you tried but I am a firm believer in Seachem Stability:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...T-TO-THE-TEST-blank-slate-(daily-perams-pics)

This stuff works wonders. Shake vigorously and add daily for 7 days. With your seeded media you should be cycled in about a week.

I just went through this myself, doubled my galonage and moved tanks last Sunday; of course instant mini-cycle. I added stability daily along with daily 20% wc and this morning I am down to 0 ammonia 0 nitrites.

bigpapaboots

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
yeah, we carried over as much substrate as we could, but it's just a lot of new water. he was in the 92 for about 4 years... overall, he's gone from 30, to 70, to 92, to now 250. as for his size, I'm guessing he's about 27 inches long, snout to tail... around 17 to 20 lbs. sorry, no photos on this computer.

no other fish, no room for any other fish. as for the cycle, I'm about 2 weeks in - but the lack of food has me really concerned. I've been told a fish his side can go about 2 weeks without food safely, and it's been nine days. so I'm on the downside of that safe period.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
He can easily go a month without food at that size. I have starved cichlids for 2-3 weeks before to get them on pellets with no issues

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
What is the PH of your water? If it is below 7, then the ammonia is not doing much damage.

Anyway, how is the fish behaving? If they are healthy acting, chances are they are okay.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
if possible, stablize the ph by adding some things like limestone type rocks or crush coral and not let it drop any further. While low PH prevents ammonia damage, it also inhibits bacteria growth; but don't use any chemicals to artificially raise the PH though.

What is the PH of your water source? One thing you don't want to happen is through a water change, raise your PH drastically and suddenly you have toxic ammonia in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store