new marine tank advice

ejansuini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
Jackson, MI
I have a 68 (36l x 18w x 24h) gallon tank that I want to start a marine set-up. I have a 90 and 150 freshwater and have had a nano reef in a 30 gal. I am very familiar with aquarium upkeep. I am just looking for a FOWLR set up for my fiance...her favorite fish are:

picasso trigger (too big for tank)
longnose hawk
copperband butterfly
mandarin
lionfish (dwarf or other)
puffers in general

I would like to have an eel (snowflake or ribbon) but I don't have to. I want curious as to what kind of mix you thought would work... Any advice or experience would be appreciated

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Well you seemed to be experinced with salt water so set up should be fine.

As for the mandarin goby, dont bother. They are next to imposible to feed prepared food. Usually die a few weeks after you get them.

If you want puffers watch they dont nip the other fish. A dwarf lion would be cool. If its your wifes she prolly wants colour.

Id get some wrasse in there. Maybe some other colourfull schooling fish. I cant see her digging a preditor tank lol.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I have a 68 (36l x 18w x 24h) gallon tank that I want to start a marine set-up. I have a 90 and 150 freshwater and have had a nano reef in a 30 gal. I am very familiar with aquarium upkeep. I am just looking for a FOWLR set up for my fiance...her favorite fish are:

picasso trigger (too big for tank)
longnose hawk
copperband butterfly
mandarin
lionfish (dwarf or other)
puffers in general

I would like to have an eel (snowflake or ribbon) but I don't have to. I want curious as to what kind of mix you thought would work... Any advice or experience would be appreciated
Reef fish swim horizontally not up and down so your 2' in depth is kind of a waste (Ya I Know ppl don't like hearin' this stuff but it is reality none the less) . Your pretty much lookin' at what can survive in 3 foot by 18 inches minus a third for rock displacement. Triggers and butterfly are out. The mandarin won't be able to compete for food but the size is ideal - maybe add a Dwarf Angel instead.

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA

ejansuini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
Jackson, MI
I get what your saying about the dimensions...had similar thoughts myself. So what I'm understanding is that something like a hawk, lion, and angel would work? is that correct? what about the eel?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Golden dwarf morays are good...they are small enough that they won't eat your fish (as snowflakes sometimes due when older).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store