What do you feed saltwater fish/invertz?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Can I feed nls pellets and frozen bloodworms? What about hikari or something? Can you feed them the same foods as freshwater?

I am referring to all common general saltwater fish and invertebrates. Examples like ocellaris clowns, green mandarin gobies, cleaner shrimp, common algae snails, sun corals, etc?

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Can I feed nls pellets and frozen bloodworms? What about hikari or something? Can you feed them the same foods as freshwater?

I am referring to all common general saltwater fish and invertebrates. Examples like ocellaris clowns, green mandarin gobies, cleaner shrimp, common algae snails, sun corals, etc?
I feed my fish-
Flakes, krill, shrimp pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and algae pellets

The fish that I have are a foxface, maroon clownfish, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and two mosquitofish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cl0wn knife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
Oxford
I feed new era aegis flake, marine pellets, and grazers also frozen brine shrimp and garlic to my smaller marine fish.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I don't have any of the fish listed by OP, but I do feed some marine pellets to my smaller/growout fish. No issues, but still feed frozen food too, not bloodworm though

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Mandarin gobies are not for the novice tank. They almost never train onto prepared foods. In nature, these gobies feed on live copepods, brine shrimp, and micro-inverts. These fish are best being added to fully established planted tanks with good refugiums. Some folks rear 'soups' of different micro-inverts in large inverted bottles and provide aerated bottles of these mass concentrations of micro-inverts in a drip set-up to their tanks for feeding difficult species.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
Yea I know. I didn't know when I posted this thread but I know now. Can it be done w/o a refugium but still having a large portion of the tank enclosed from everything else?

You know like you see on the biocubes at the lfs, the area behind the tank. Mine has a trickle filter w/ bio balls, a skimmer, some filter floss, and lots of empty space. Diagram of the back of the tank included

uploadfromtaptalk1356483681164.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1356485931167.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
That filter has nothing to do with what I described. You need either a system that can support a large micro-invert population or a means of culturing large quantities of micro-inverts with a reliable delivery system to the tank. That's what's needed for mandarin gobies. There are plenty of species that can be fed on frozen or prepared foods. Stick to those.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
Or I could just feed them frozen/live brine shrimp. Most people online say that usually works. However, they also say it is not very nutritious. But my lfs has this gigantic 60g barrel of brine shrimp, must be 20 solid, concentrated pounds of shrimp in the tank, can't see past 2"'-3". Soo much shrimp... I think I just need to do more research.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store