So you want your new African Tiger Fish to eat pellets?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Its surprisingly easy!

As long as you get started early, that is. When you bring home your new baby African Tiger Fish (ATF), you have to start the breaking process immediately.

In order to use my method of breaking your new tigers, you need to take four simple steps:

1- Use teacher fish.

Teacher fish are a group of fishes that will teach your new tiger how to eat pellets. For a baby ATF, I strongly favor tinfoil barbs. Tinfoils are ideal teacher fish because they are readily available at your local fish store, they're cheap, they will feed off of the surface right out of the bag with great vigor, and they will school readily with your new baby tiger fish. For some reason, I've not had any luck with bala sharks as teacher fish with my young tigers, the tigers seem to go out of their way to kill them. I prefer to use teachers that are about half the size of my tigers. For a typical 3" new baby tiger, I use tinfoils one to one and one half inches in length.

2- Use floating pellets.

I consider floating pellets to be important in the breaking of your new ATF. The reason for this is simple. When your teacher fish eat from the surface, they will make a far greater commotion. The commotion they make with their feeding activity is what will draw the attention of the ATF! With out the activity and splashing of the teacher fish, it will take a lot longer for the ATF to notice the new food source, and it is possible that the ATF will simply turn to your teacher fish as their new food source! I strongly favor Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks for breaking my tigers. This is because Jumbo Carnisticks can be easily broken into pieces that are ideally suited for a baby tiger to swallow. An ideal size is to break the sticks into thirds. Second, and more importantly, the Jumbo Carnisticks have a spongy texture that absorbs water to take on a goldfish-like consistency. This is important for breaking your new tigers, as they get the impression they're biting a familiar piece of food. I've found them much more willing to eat a soft textured pellet than they are to eat something that feels to them like biting a stone!

3- Starve, starve, starve!

When you decide that you're going to change your new tiger's diet, you have to stay the course! I know from experience how hard it can be to not give your new $100 or more ATF no feedes, but its essential that you don't! The reason why is simple. An ATF is a specialized piscivore. This means that they have evolved to eat fish, and without a great deal of outside pressure, they will not consider anything else as a new portion of their diet. So, if they consistently get to the border of starvation and you offer guppies, then they will learn that holding out longer just results in guppies coming eventually. It's incredibly counter productive!

4- Start as soon as he's in your tank.

It is well documented both on this site and others that a change of environment can be the impetus necessary for causing a stubborn fish to change its diet. As such, as soon as you introduce your new tiger to your tank, he should never get feeder fish again! You can't allow the fish to take up his or her old habits.

Now, when you combine these four measures you will find it quite easy to get your new ATF eating pellets. The first day or two after starting, the barbs will be tearing up your pellets and its unlikely that the ATF will notice the behavior. Before too long, you'll notice the ATF actively watching the barbs eating. Normally on the third day, you'll see your ATF trying to steal pellets from the barbs and eating pieces that they drop. Normally, by the fifth day, the ATF should be making tentative trips to the surface to feed. Please understand, the timeframes I have listed here are assuming a typical pre-shipment starvation period. If you buy a well fed fish from your local fish store, it may take a bit longer for the ATF to start displaying the signs I have written about.

"But I have a larger ATF that I just bought / haven't tried to break before"

Well, the same methods will work, they will just take much, much longer. An 8-10 inch ATF, if it's an especially stubborn individual, will be able to go about a month before it reaches a point of hunger that it will be willing to change its diet. Even larger specimens will be able to go even longer! These methods will, however, still work. You just need to buy some bigger teacher fish and wait a bit longer. If you're trying to break a larger tiger, you have to be prepared to lose some of his tankmates. A large ATF has the weapons and often the inclination to take pieces out of his tank mates if he's hungry enough. I learned these lessons the hard way. I fed my Goliath live for months. When I decided to try to break him, he killed everything else that I had in the tank before I was able to get him eating pellets. After that very expensive lesson, I now break all of my new tigers immediately. I consider the purchase of three tinfoil barbs to be part of my purchase of new African tiger fish.

Here's video that shows my baby H. tanzaniae taking pellets from the surface.

[video=youtube_share;TXfQTwCBiZM]http://youtu.be/TXfQTwCBiZM[/video]

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
+1 to this, when i first got my vatf it was almost always swimming at the bottom. At 4 inches in a big 130 gallon tank with a lot of flow, pellets were virtually invisible to the atf. I spoke with Chixulub and he recommened me to get tinfoil barbs. I got 5 and after 3 minutes being introduced in the tank they started attacking the pellets. Surprisingly the atf actually schools with the barbs. Its been the second day since i have the barbs in my tank and my atf already tried stealing two pellets from them but soon after spit it out. Its a waiting game from here on out all it has to do is swallow it and taste how good it is!

Edit: You forgot to mention that the barbs are essential in preventing your atf from attacking each other

FISHSTICKS89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
vancity
great intructions ill have to try that when i pick my atf up afte new years.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
I wouldn't agree on breaking as soon as you receive them. If they are smaller than 3" I would grow them a little bigger before breaking them. Also Tin Foil Barbs are good fish to have as teachers but I've found them to be a little aggressive and fight the ATF for food. I would only get one or two not three.

Also keep in mind that GATFs are much more stubborn than VATFs. Even once they're broken on sticks or pellets they don't like to deviate. Mine will only eat sticks now when the other VATFs will take filets, diy food and sticks.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I wouldn't agree on breaking as soon as you receive them. If they are smaller than 3" I would grow them a little bigger before breaking them. Also Tin Foil Barbs are good fish to have as teachers but I've found them to be a little aggressive and fight the ATF for food. I would only get one or two not three.

Also keep in mind that GATFs are much more stubborn than VATFs. Even once they're broken on sticks or pellets they don't like to deviate. Mine will only eat sticks now when the other VATFs will take filets, diy food and sticks.
I will agree with you on the GATFs being harder to break. My Goliath was an absolute nightmare! Now that he eats pellets he won't touch live food, either.

As to the size the barbs however, I disagree. I added my new vittatus at 2" to the tank that had my tanzaniae, three barbs and a silver pike. The vittatus watched the barbs and the tatf eating pellets and was stealing pellets from the barbs inside of two days. The reason that I feel its important to get them eating pellets right off of the bat is because the fish have already gone through a starvation period before shipping, I see no harm in taking advantage of that to try to break them.

As far as the barbs are concerned, they consistently get beat on by the tigers. They have not harmed the tigers in any way. They also have the added benefit of being punching bags for the tigers, which keeps the tigers from beating on each other! If you were referring to the way they eat, that's a large part of the reason I chose them. Their aggressive feeding behavior is highly visible to the tigers which gets their attention quicker, and once the tigers start eating from the surface, they use the same extremely aggressive techniques the barbs use.

Thus far I'm 3/3 with breaking tigers after I've ironed the method out The longest was my tanzaniae at three days after starting the method. Both vittatus that I had were eating pellets in two days. DayumDanny tried this with his new vittatus and it was stealing pellets from the barbs the second day as well. I firmly believe the longer you wait, the harder they will be to break. Once they're larger, they can go longer without eating and are more set in their ways. Doing it right away allows you to get them on a healthy staple food right off the bat and start powerfeeding them!

Heck, the ATF-on-pellets method described here even worked for a silver pike / rocket gar / hujeta gar or whatever you want to call it (lol). It took four days for the silver pike, and those things are notorious for being unbreakable!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
For some reason my barbs don't really get beat on. I have 4 VATF and one GATF. They're more occupied with beating on each other than the barbs. Once in awhile my barbs will show a fin nip or slash down the side but 99% of the time the ATFs pick on each other.
I'll give you that. My tigers still chase and nip each other, but they go after the barbs more. I took the barbs out for a while to try to cut back on the competition for food, and the tigers got MUCH more aggressive with each other. I firmly believe that having dithers helps to spread the aggression around.

DayumDanny

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
Connecticut
I have a 4.5 in vatf with 5 barbs that are 2-2.5 in in size and I think I might have to many barbs... Just checked up on my tank and my vatf has small tail damage/rip that wasn't there this morning. Also noticed one of the barbs is missing the entire bottom half of it's tail. What do you guys recommend? Remove two of my barbs?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I have a 4.5 in vatf with 5 barbs that are 2-2.5 in in size and I think I might have to many barbs... Just checked up on my tank and my vatf has small tail damage/rip that wasn't there this morning. Also noticed one of the barbs is missing the entire bottom half of it's tail. What do you guys recommend? Remove two of my barbs?
I did recommend three. ;)

It's a safe bet the tiger will beat up the barbs. I feed my growout tank three times a day to avoid aggression. If the tiger gets hungry, he'll try to find food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store