So you want your new Payara to eat pellets?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Unlike African tiger fish, I won't say these are easy! Some payaras can be stubborn almost to the point of their own death, however some will readily eat non-live food. I would first recommend using the same method described in the African Tiger Fish on Pellets Thread. In my experience, that method works about 50% of the time. If your payara readily eats pellets without training, you should consider yourself lucky!

If that method should fail for you however, you will need to take a different route to getting your payaras off of live food.

You'll need the following items-

1- Some very thin fishing line. I recommend the lightest fluorocarbon line you can find.
2- Fillets of your favorite type of fish. I am a fan of trout, but tilapia and salmon are both good options as food for your fish.
3- Patience!

Now its time to go fishing!

The first thing you need to do is take two to three feet of the fishing line. Tie a knot into one end of it. The knot is to keep your bait from falling off of the end of the line.

Now, take your fillet of fish and prepare it into chunks that are a similar size and shape to the feeders that would be ideal for your payara to eat; goldfish, rosies, guppies or whatever is an ideally sized prey item for your payara.

Next, you're going to put the piece of fish onto the fishing line and drop it into the tank. Some payaras will take the fillet readily, simply because it looks passingly like the prey items they're used to eating. Other payaras will need to be starved and then tricked into striking. In order to trick your payara into striking you need to try various methods common to fishing. Eventually with a combination of starving and jigging, you'll induce your payara to strike at your fillets. Once he strikes and eats one, the payara will recognize the fillet of food as a food source and will normally readily strike again.

Now, some payara owners are happy to have their fish eating this diet and will continue to feed fillets to them. There's nothing wrong with doing so. However, some owners will desire to get their stubborn payara onto pellets, which is certainly an admirable goal.

In order to get your fish onto pellets from fillets, you must first get him eating fillets reliably. Once he readily strikes the fillets and goes looking for them, start moving them higher and higher in the water column until they're on the surface. Once he is striking the fillets that are on the surface and starts looking to the surface for his food, allow the fish to undergo a short fast of a few days. Then try adding some floating pellets. You should find that your payara, who is by this point used to feeding from the surface, will eat the pellets with vigor. I've found that a pellet trained payara will happily take fillets as treats even once it starts to eat pellets.

Now, getting your payaras off live can take a very long time, up to a couple of months in some cases. A large fish can go a long time without food and they can be very stubborn. Don't give up! Stay the course and your fish will come around! Good luck!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Is it a good start if my armatus trys to eat and then spit out the pellet. I starved my armatus for 4 days and then i put a single omega 1 cichlid floating pellet. It attacked the pellet but then immidiately spat the pellet out.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Is it a good start if my armatus trys to eat and then spit out the pellet. I starved my armatus for 4 days and then i put a single omega 1 cichlid floating pellet. It attacked the pellet but then immidiately spat the pellet out.
You're halfway there then! That means that the armatus recognizes the pellet as food, but doesn't like it. With patience he will eat them.

I would recommend Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks. They take on water and soften to the point that to a fish, it feels like biting a goldfish. They're the only pellets my silver tooth fish will eat!

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
KGreat thread chicx, this should be a sticky. Iv used this method myself a few times now and can say first hand that it works. My armatus wass eatiing talapia strips within two weeks after purchase. I found putting the food above their head, but a few inches infront of them works best with a few jigs and pulls to the side, seems payaras like attacking from below like a shark would. At least that's how mine preferes to feed.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BradsRedTailPayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
Michigan, USA
Awesome!

Do you think once the Payara view the fillets as food, will the ignore live fish as food? Isn't it a good idea to mix up their diet, or is that something used to get people to buy more feeders?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I've had my tat since July, and he refuses to take anything, i have had him strike and spit out krill, cut shrimp, silversides , we won't even take a goldifish if it isnt alive/... lol, i've gone fishing , i've sent it out of the outlets of the filters in the current nothing. Starved him for over a week and still nothing.

He visably gets excited when other fish are eating and swims in circles looking for something to eat.. but nothing.

Any other ideas?

Reactions: PredatorPiqued

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
I don't know if this was mentioned but instead of getting them on pellets you could continue feeding shrimp and tilapia but just with pellets stuffed inside of them. That way they get the nutrition of the prawns but also the pellets and IMO is the best of both worlds. Or you could just feed them separately if they'll take both.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store