!!!!!!!! MAG Drive 24

roundedge4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2006
South Jersey
Does anyone out there have a mag 24 I just returned one for another and it is so loud. The hum is annoying. I have a 150 tank with a 30 gallon sump. I think I might go down to a 18 or lower cause this has got to go... Please fill me in if this is normal or if i have another dud.

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
I run two on my 550 gal in the sump, the running water noise is louder than the pumps. Maybe try the 18 or instal a valve after the pump and throttle it back just a little bit, this will change the harmonics.

roundedge4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2006
South Jersey
I have a ball valve on the output and it does tune it but its never quiet its always roaring. I just took the impeller out and nothing is in there at all its not sucking water upstream of the pump is a ball valve and a check valve. I dont see any air in the line and its in water about 2 inches taller than the pump even if i flood the sump to 12 inches deep its still loud. I put a couple different things under it to quiet it even if i suspend it in the tank its loud. Is there a break in period or what!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I have mine on my 250 in my 55 g sump... I got shipping foam sheets 2 of them underneath and they come up the side of it and it is Whisper quiet Infact my whisper 20 for my 30 g. is louder LOL

roundedge4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2006
South Jersey
How much clearance in front of the intake of the pump is needed cause. Thats the only thing I do to make it quieter if i move it away from the wall of the tank it almost gets silent. I have about 2-3 inches of clearance. If thats it looks like I will be replumbing it tomorrow. and a mag 24 is really way too much for 150 tank?

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Well as far as too much... It depends also on how much 'Head' it is.. how far up is it from the pump to the return?

And mine sits within an inch to 3 inches of the glass... But what is the height to fvrom the pump to the top of the tank??

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
That is about an 11 to 12 times turned over per hour:) Which allot of people here have 5-10 times per hours and some much more..

roundedge4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2006
South Jersey
I just now replumbed it just waiting for the cpvc to set up and dry then i can soak 4 times to clean up the pipes and reinstall the intermediate pipe to test the sound if this doesn't work I might opt for a quietone I hope it was just something stupid and its not this pump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store