Nitrate Reduction using Dr. Tim's NP Active Pearls in Freshwater

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Being familiar with the 2007 Tetra Patent on the use of PCL's (polycaprolactone) in Aquaria to achieve denitrification, and watching them waste it by not introducing any serious product, I was happy to see Dr. Tim's release a product last year (I think) called Dr. Tim's NP-Active Pearls that utilize PHAs instead of PCLs. About 5 weeks ago, I decided to try these in my moderately stocked 100 gallon Oscar tank (14" Oscar, 5 full sized Silver Dollars) in an effort to minimize nitrate creep. A little prerequisite information:

- Biopolymers (in this case, PHAs in the form of Dr. Tim's NP Active Pearls) act as both a source of organic carbon and as a home for denitification bacteria
- In order to use NP Active Pearls, they need to be located in a reactor, under constant motion.
- The denitrification bacteria that develops on the pearls utilizes organic carbon found in the Pearls themselves as an energy source.
- In addition to Nitrates, this process consumes phosphate from the water. If phosphate is depleted, nitrate reduction will cease to occur.
- This process occurs aerobically. It does not require anaerobic conditions.
- As the bacteria consume the pearls and nitrates, they grown in population, and must be exported from the tank before they die and break back down, re-releasing the nitrate they have consumed.

In saltwater systems, this "'export" is achieved via the use of protein skimmers. In freshwater, it occurs using mechanical filtration.

For my Oscar tank, I constructed a DIY Mechanical Trickle Filter out of a plastic flower box, using a Spraybar for an Eheim 2217, redneck engineering the following contraption that sits atop my sump. The outflow from the reactor containing the Pearls empties into this filter.

The above "flowerbox filter" contains multiple layers of mechanical filter media. From top to bottom, it contains:

Blue Bonded Padding
Sera Filter Wool
1" Super Fine Filter Pad (from Drs. Foster and Smith"
200 Micron filter pad
100 Micron Filter pad
50 Micron Filter pad.

The Pearls themselves are housed in an inexpensive Phosban reactor (with both prefilter sponges removed, this is important) driven by a 500gph mag drive pump.

Below is a link to a short video of the setup at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yu6Va2QEM

The following image is an example of nitrate creep on this tank prior to adding NP-Pearls. Following a 100% water change, nitrate creep historically averages out to about 10ppm per week.

The end result of this experiment, as documented in the below image, is that in the 4th week of using NP Active Pearls, Nitrates creep is basically eliminated in this tank.

So, it is obvious Dr. Tim's NP Active Pearls work in freshwater, but there are a few things you need to be aware of. First off, do not underestimate the amount of slime this process produces. If you attempt to simply add NP Active Pearls to your tank without the added step of the outflow reactor going through a separate mechanical filter, be prepared for your primary filters to start clogging up in weeks and (potentially) brown slime accumulating on the substrate, ornaments, and grass. I started at 200 Micron and worked my way further down to 50 Micron, because at 200 Micron and 100 Micron, the stuff was still making it into my filters. Secondly, I am currently performing a daily cleaning of the top layers of the filter media in the "Flowerbox filter", with weekly cleanings of all media in the filter. While I currently do not know how long you can wait between cleanings without reintroducing nitrates (i will be learning that in the upcoming weeks), If you are one of these who only want to clean something of this nature once a month or every few months, forget about it. This is not for you. The bacterial slime in the mechanical filter media must be cleaned frequently, otherwise as it decomposes it will release the nitrates (and phosophates) that have been consumed back into the water and you've gained nothing (not to mention it stinks). The higher the nitrates and the more the nitrate creep, the more prolific will be the resulting slime.

Aside from the slime, which is managed via the Flowerbox filter and frequent cleanings, there have been no negative side effects. In fact, one of the huge benefits in my circumstance is improved tank stability. My tap water is very soft with a KH of only 2dGH. While nitrification erodes the carbonate buffer, completed denitrification replenishes it, so even with a KH as low as mine there is no danger of a pH crash as long as denitrification is working.

A decade ago, I called simple denitrification the holy grail of fish keeping. But here you go. Simple and safe denitrification that anyone can achieve.

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Just in case anyone underestimates the amount of bacterial slime produced from this process, below is an image of the first layer of media in the flowerbox filter. This is 36 hours of slime.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Very interesting - does the media gradually disappear as the bacteria consume the carbon?

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Yes, the media will disappear over time at a rate that is dependent upon the amount of Nitrates consumed. I expect a need to "top off" the media every 3 to 6 months. I intend to use the reappearance of nitrate (combined with the continued presence of phosphate) as a indicator I need to add more media.

According to the manufacturer (Dr. Tim), phosphate is usually the limiting factor, being exhausted first. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a phosphate test kit (ordered but not yet delivered) to provide details for that side of the equation. Currently, I am almost 2 weeks into maintaining nitrates at almost zero. They are there, but they are closer to 0ppm than 5ppm.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Would it be possible to run the beads in a bead filter ahead of the mechanical to use it in a closed loop system?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Thanks for posting, very interesting. I can see this being used in aquariums and larger bodies of water where water changes are not practical, but I can't see this as being cost effective.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Thanks for posting, very interesting. I can see this being used in aquariums and larger bodies of water where water changes are not practical, but I can't see this as being cost effective.
I know what you mean - I have good well water that is practically free, so I can't imagine I would go through the trouble for my home tank. At my school, however, the well water contains 20+ PPM of nitrate - so something like this might be a great way to reduce nitrates.

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Would it be possible to run the beads in a bead filter ahead of the mechanical to use it in a closed loop system?
As long as the pellets stay in motion and the slime is removed (harvested), all is well. My concerns would be two fold. First, difficulty in cleaning the insides of the filter. The amount of slime produced from the process should not be under estimated. In the 5 weeks I've had this in use, I've twice had it clog up the outflow strainer on the inexpensive Phosban reactor I am currently using. You need to see inside the filter to confirm the pellets remain in motion. Secondly, how the mechanical filtration occurs is almost irrelevant as long as it occurs. My goal is to keep the resulting slime out of my canister filters. This will be a bit more difficult to achieve in a closed loop system.

This stuff is really scoped for saltwater tanks where protein skimmers remove the resulting organics. I developed the external "flowerbox" filter in an attempt to keep the slime external to the tank. The first 2 weeks I was running this I used a 200 micron filter sock and discovered the sock was getting way to dirty, way to fast, it was a pain the clean, the 100 Micron Whole House filter I have running on the tank was getting clogged almost shut in 3-4 days (normally makes it a month before flow rate is impacted), and the finer media pads in my canister filters were getting dirtied up well beyond normal. Not only that, but the sock was sitting in the water. As long as it's sitting in the water then the bacterial slime can decompose back into the water, releasing the nitrates and phosphates that have been consumed, potentially nullifying the benefits. The external filter box was developed to make this easier to access for cleaning while attempting to simulate (as best I can) the results of using a protein skimmer in that the slime is removed from the tank, not allowed to soak in it. 100 Micron appears to be the catch point for this stuff. Once I stepped the Flowerbox filter down and added Sera Filter Wool as the top layer in the filter, I'm now up to at least 2 weeks before my 100 Micron Whole House filter cartridge experiences reduced flow.

I don't see cost as an issue unless you are dealing with a very massive heavily stocked tank. For basically $70 - $140 dollars a year (for a 120 gallon tank) you can maintain near zero nitrates, plus the few bucks it takes for the mechanical media. I intend to reuse all mechanical media, even the Filter Wool. I've found that once rinsed with a dish sprayer and then soaked for 24 hours in a solution of OxyClean, even the 100 Micron felt pads and Sera Filter Wool come clean (although I would like to find something that serves this purpose, either via oxidation or enzymes, and does not contain surfactants). I consider "effort" more of an issue as the top layer of filter wool needs rinsed clean several times per week, or replaced, with remainder of the mechanical media in the flowerbox filter being rinsed or replaced (recycled) each week. This mechanism of removing nitrates is not for the lazy.

On a side note. I'm not doing this to eliminate water changes. I'll continue with water changes. I'm doing it to provide the best environmental conditions possible.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would love to better understand your schematics through photos. Wher is teh reactor functioning? Does it spill its water into the flower tray? Is the reactor inside the sump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store