Brand new DSA 225g setup journal

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
My wife bought me a brand new Deep Sea Aquatics 225g tank, stand and canopy for Christmas. It was a complete surprise and I have the best wife ever. After my 220 failed ( http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?490958-220-exploded ) I never thought I would own another "big" tank, but it is truly an addiction.

The tank it's self is a glass 72x27x27. It has a large center overflow box. The box has 3x1" drains and 2x 3/4" returns. It will be lit with 2x48" beamswork single brite led's that I already have. I was planning barebottom at first but I am swaying twords black diamond sand instead, I just don't think I would be happy with barebottom in the long run. I would rather go sand now instead of trying to add it later. I have a fresh box of never used manzanita dw that I got from manziman a few days before my tank failed. I waited 2 years to order it, then had to wait almost a year to get to use it. Isn't it ironic? The tank will be filtered only with a sump for now. I may add an fx5 later on if needed. The sump is a brand new 75g. I am using JC's sump design. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...on-SA-CE-comminity-build-thread!!-(1-Viewing) (hope you don't mind the link buddy) I have loved that design since I first saw that thread. Of coarse i will modify it a little to better fit my needs. It will have 3 socks instead of 2 because of the 3 drains. I am using 2x laguna max flo 2000's with the tetra pond boxes. I will run a ton of rings or other bio in the sump in media bags on, in and around the boxes. 3x300 watt jäger heaters with a digital controller.

I still haven't nailed down the stocklist, but here is a few fish going in for sure.
Large male green Severum (Thomas)
His GF he never got to meet a female "super red" sev (gladis)
L190 (Omar)
My 14" L001 (Tebow)
New flagtail Chris (Paulbearer) is holding for me
And a new fire eel since I lost my big guy.

Also thinking of 1 or 2 more Ca/Sa's and 2 or 3 more panaques. And possibly a large school of roselines...

I have a few pics I took today when I went to the LFS today to get final measurements and info to start ordering all the odds and ends to get it finished. We are still finishing my son's "playroom" where this tank is going so it will not be here for a couple weeks but I am patiently waiting. I will post the pics when I get on the computer later. Thanks for reading and I will update regularly as things change.
Josh.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
nice tank
Thanks. does anyone on here have a deep sea aquatics tank? It's actually part of the crew that used to work for oceanic. They were closing some plants down and some of the guys decided to start their own company rather than move. Its a pretty cool story.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
:popcorn:

Congrats on the tank and start of the build! Don't mind at all you posting the link. Glad the design is getting some use. I really love mine.

Looking forward to the progress!
Thanks kind sir, I meant to ask if you had any issues with your's or things you would change or add if you were doing it all over again.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Thanks kind sir, I meant to ask if you had any issues with your's or things you would change or add if you were doing it all over again.
Honestly, the sump is and has been trouble free. Super easy to change the socks, stays really clean and is quiet. I think the drain size was a little bit of overkill, but I have considered upgrading the pumps with growth of the fish(plecos especially), so it probably will be a blessing further down the road. The checks are kind of redundant since I drilled siphon breaks up top, but better to have a little more insurance with such a large amount of water.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I am running checks because i've never had success with siphon breaks. And I plan on running the 75 as full as possible. What micron socks are you running? And how often are you changing them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store