White Stuff on my Gars face?

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
I noticed this about a week ago. At first I thought maybe it was just from him fighting with one of the other fish So I just put some salt in and left him alone. It still hasn't healed up at all but Doesn't seem to have spread much at all. I don't think it is a parasite since it really hasn't spread or spread to any of the other fish but I'm not to good with parasites so I don't know. Was thinking maybe it is a bacterial infection and melafix could be the problem? Or maybe it really is just a "skin rash" from fighting with the other guys. maybe someone could help :) he's still eating like a monster and swimming around without a care in the world.

gar with stuff 2.jpggar with stuff.jpg

gar with stuff 2.jpg

gar with stuff.jpg

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hard to see exactly what it is from those pictures. I would do the usual, bump up the temp, add some salt, increase water changes and make sure it is eating properly.

If you can get some clearer pictures that woul be appreciated.

Also can you provide more information on the tank, tankmates, water parameters, etc.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-looks like face erosion from the pics...usually due to malnutrition on some level. what do you feed the ALG? providing a complete diet such as a quality pellet will help, although i have resolved this issue in the past (with several species/individuals) by feeding whole frozen fish (or even frozen fish that have been cleaned...whole is best though). this will often help replace vitamins and other micronutrients that needed to maintain health. let us know what you have been feeding, and we can suggest some new options. good luck--
--solomon
PS-- don't use melafix at this point.

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
-looks like face erosion from the pics...usually due to malnutrition on some level. what do you feed the ALG? providing a complete diet such as a quality pellet will help, although i have resolved this issue in the past (with several species/individuals) by feeding whole frozen fish (or even frozen fish that have been cleaned...whole is best though). this will often help replace vitamins and other micronutrients that needed to maintain health. let us know what you have been feeding, and we can suggest some new options. good luck--
--solomon
PS-- don't use melafix at this point.
I bumped the temp a little and added salt and he is looking fine and the white is all gone, I feed him carnisticks beef heart tilapia and silversides for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store