Noisy Eheim 2215

C00K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
New York
Picked up a used Eheim 2215 and no matter what I do it's noisy. I'm not sure if it's primed right, water is running through it fine, it just sounds like a loud ocillating fan. The noise is driving me nuts, help!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I'd guess that either air is getting in somehow, or your impeller/impeller shaft is damaged.

C00K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
New York
How can I get excess bubbles out? I primed it using the method in the eheim manual. I have tried several times, not sure.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I think WyldFya has a very good point. To prevent further damage, I, like WyldFya, suggest you check the filter's guts first. The only thing I ever broke on an Eheim was the ceramic impeller axle. Check it, it should be one long piece. If it is broken you need to replace it. It's a cheap spare part, but essential. Do not operate the filter with a damaged axle.

To get air out: Set up the filter, suck on the outlet and have the water come in. Filter should be positioned below water level (duh).

Advice on the side:
Once the canister is 70% filled, I always stop the flow by colsing the outlet and listen. If the O-ring is positioned wrong, the filter will hiss since the leftover air escapes, pressurized by the water column.

Let the filter fill fully. Start the filter and shake it (keep it upright, though!). You will hear air bubbles hitting the impeller. That should stop after a few minutes.

Under normal operating conditions, these are extremely quiet filters!!!

HarleyK

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
I find that i have a lot of problems primeing a canister if the outlet is under the water level. I would try to have the outlet above the water level to start the filter as they sufer from air locks.

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
DasArab;659998; said:
Sounds like an Impeller/axle problem to me too. To remove excess air from the filter once its running hold it and give it a shake from side to side, any trapped air soon disipates.
bingo!

I had the same problem with a new eheim 2227, the impeller has 2 rubber "spacers" that fit very tightly over the shaft (they look like black pencil erasers), make sure that the impellor shaft is pushed all the way on this spacer the hole is a very tight fit and it is not easy to get on sometimes.

what you are hearing is the impeller blades hitting the inside of the tube when it wobbles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store