Florida vs. Longnose Gar

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
LNG get pretty massive... like 4 to 5 foot range if I'm remembering correctly. Google it or check around this site. Floridas are much more reasonable to keep in an aquarium setting, usually don't exceed two foot or so. Still need a large tank for an adult (they say minimum 180, but larger is certainly better).

Floridas grow quickly the first year or so until they hit the 1 foot mark, then they slow down. It's all in a sticky in this section, look it over.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
newer to LNG's had mine a few monthes now.. and the main thing i've noticed is they are not the easy keepers floridas tend to be... my floridas are pretty much bullet proof where my LNGs have been more delicate ( I've raised both species from 4"ish) my LNGs also tend to be abit more rough and tumble then my floridas... not as "laid" back.. but the biggest difference is they are def more skitterish in general... so useing the "step-up" or grow-out method if buying YoY fish imo is essential or you'll end up with broken up fish. The Lngs also grew almost as fast as I've seen gators grow... the stickies will alos say these guys get 18" in their first year pottentially.. mine are only 4-5 monthes now i think and already getting ready to outgrow the 75 my florida took almost 2yrs to grow out of. I also never had a FL jump, but i lost one of my juvi LNgs to jumping ( spooked i think)

appearence wise... google pics... but imo the LNGs a prettier "spot" fish but its all in the eye of the beholder ect... most people can't tell the difference other then the long snout ( non-nutzo fish people that is ;) )

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
i-will-use-google-before-asking-dumb-questions-20100119-171412.jpg

i-will-use-google-before-asking-dumb-questions-20100119-171412.jpg

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
I personally think both gars are pretty cool ,I have a fl gar and right now I feel like the luckiest guy on earth lol he always comes to the surface when he sees me, begging for food,I can proudly compare him to my 2 fahakas lol I love the attention I get from the three I walk in the room and the three of them come up to the glass (all in diff tanks) lol ,although I would love to own a Cuban!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
I personally think both gars are pretty cool ,I have a fl gar and right now I feel like the luckiest guy on earth lol he always comes to the surface when he sees me, begging for food,I can proudly compare him to my 2 fahakas lol I love the attention I get from the three I walk in the room and the three of them come up to the glass (all in diff tanks) lol ,although I would love to own a Cuban!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Do you keep the fakahas with the gars? I tried to keep my longnose with a fakaha and I left the room for a hour and I had a longnose with no tail when I came back lol. But it grew back good as new

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Only things I can keep with my fahaka are tiny fish he's too slow/fat to catch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store