New to saltwater, Quick question...

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
I just converted my 125g freshwater to fowlr a few weeks ago,
but it looks boring with just rocks and I wanted to add macroalgaes. I just ordered a lighting system thats 364w half "daylight" (which i'm assuming is 6500k-10000k) and half actinic blue, Is this enough light to grow macroalgaes? So far there is only 1 royal gramma and 1 azure damsel. Are these fish compatible with seaweeds/algaes or will they eat them? I wanted to add a ocellaris clownfish and a school of blue/green chromis.

this is the effect I want to achieve on this tank:

macro.jpg

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
Bumpie ;)

backpack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
Fl, USA
Have you finished cycling yet?
How does alkalinity and calcium hardness test?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Looks great damsels should be fine but you will have to stay away from tangs and blenies.

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
I added cured live rock and a few days later the tank tested positive for nitrates so I believe it is cycled. I still have to buy a test kit. the only tests strips I bought are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and ph. I Saw some cool "plants" online but should I wait till my tank is matured to add them?

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
ph is around 7.9

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
tests strips
Test strips are junk and less than 70% accurate. You have to use the liquid kits. If these are indeed test strips your using then you really don't know whether your tank is cycled. Test strips are very flakey, sometimes they throw you onto the opposite end of the spectrum. I have both strips and the liquid, I get far better readings with the liquid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store