New fish into tank with fl. gar question...

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
How small is too small? In terms of adding a 4" p. bass into my florida/spotted gar's tank. It's a 125, the gar (10"-12", haven't measured him recently) lives in there solo right now. He had shared the tank with an old jack dempsey until it passed away a couple months ago. The bass is definitely bigger than the gar's mouth (gar struggles to take down half of a thawed "medium" shrimp to be honest), but I suppose he could kill the bass if he so desired.

Gar hasn't had any live for a looong time, currently eating raw shrimp stuffed with NLS pellets (fed by hand with a wooden skewer). The bass is eating pellets.

Anyone have relevant experience introducing similarly sized bass into a gar tank?

P.S. Yes, I know a 125 will not house either of these fish long term, I'll address this when the time is appropriate. My hope is that they will be able to co-exist long term.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have mixed them from about half the size and up. smaller runs the risk of the gar killing the bass. expect some nipped fins on the bass every now and then. in the end go with your gut, if it looks too small then it is. i have lost several fish to not listening to my gut.

i currently have a 12" mono in with gars from 15-23". the gars are all species except gator and true spotted.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store