Cichlid compatibility...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Ive posted in the dat section to cover that side of things, but basically im looking for info on which cichlids can be kept with a spotted/florida gar at the moment around 7.5 inches. Im thinking something like a severum, but im open to suggestions if they arent suitable. Oh, it will be once ive upgraded from my current 60 to a 180 with 60 sump. Thank you :)

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have had dats, severums, pbass, oscars, jd, sunfish, and a few others. alot depends on the fish. most cichlids pose a risk of spooking the gar causing injury to the gar. it can even cause death. monator any mix you try and be ready to seperate if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I see where you are coming from. the 4 dats i have dont bother the gar so im lucky on that count. i was thinking of a severum as it was suggested a goo mix for the dats. . as you say, when and if i add one ill keep an eye on it to make sure everyone is playing nice. thank you :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i think you'll be ok with oscars, severem, geo, large acara ,maybe... ive mixed many fish but each is different, just be prepared to removed any problem fish... i have butti midas oscar and dovii in the same tank without problems, most have grown up together, think thats the key, goodluck.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
you mean the severum could be food? I think as long as I get appropriate sizes it shouldnt be an issue

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brettsdad2011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
madison, wi
I have an 18" longnose gar with a 3" green severum, 4" gold severum, 5" blood parrot, 2x10-14" rope fish, etc, etc...the only thing he tries to eat is a 3" pictus catfish. Stay away from silver fish. Gar like to eat those. He's also been housed w 3 Africa clawed frogs that routinely stand on his head a green terror and a banded leporinus. Nothing has ever bothered him and he hasn't bothered anything, except the pictus...had to pull him out of his mouth twice, we now call him scarface. Also have a 5" Florida gar in grow out with a 2" silver dat. No problems. The gar acts like he wants to eat the I.d. shark of the same size though. He's never tried, he has stalked though.

Sent from my SCH-R680 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I have an 18" longnose gar with a 3" green severum, 4" gold severum, 5" blood parrot, 2x10-14" rope fish, etc, etc...the only thing he tries to eat is a 3" pictus catfish. Stay away from silver fish. Gar like to eat those. He's also been housed w 3 Africa clawed frogs that routinely stand on his head a green terror and a banded leporinus. Nothing has ever bothered him and he hasn't bothered anything, except the pictus...had to pull him out of his mouth twice, we now call him scarface. Also have a 5" Florida gar in grow out with a 2" silver dat. No problems. The gar acts like he wants to eat the I.d. shark of the same size though. He's never tried, he has stalked though.

Sent from my SCH-R680 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
the silver fish rule varys fish to fish. having said that i have housed aros wh gars and even tinfoil barbs. yet they killed my vatf. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store