Plant-friendly fish?

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Hi guys! I've got an fx5 arriving tomorrow, which means I'll be able to have a bit of a larger stockload. I have a 100 gallon with 6 Eartheaters(5 G.Altifrons, 1 S.Jurupari), 2 Delhezi Bichirs, a Chocolate Pleco and a Raphael cat. There's also a German Blue Ram and a Red Tail Black Shark, but they're so small that I sometimes forget about them! I'm looking for fish that are plant friendly. Small fish (German Blue Ram size or larger) will be okay, as long as they're aggressive enough to hold their own. When I put in the little ram, she flared her fins and chased the 6" Eartheaters around the tank.
The fish need to be plant-friendly, since I'm in the process of making this tank planted.

Would love some suggestions! Thanks guys!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I personally would do apistogrammas and a couple of festivus and a school of neon tetras. Boss.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Angelfish or discus.

"Discus are extremely easy to care for. Their being difficult is a common misconception. their is more hype written about this fish than any other fish in the hobby. Discus are only difficult to keep when parboiled by overhigh temperatures and reduced to nervous wrecks through barebottom tanks." - All About Discus Book

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
If you have algae issues, I'd suggest flying fox, banded Burmese algae eater, zebra otttos, farlowella cats, some others, Cory cats, bolivian rams, pearl gouramis, basically any medium-large tetra, discus would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
If you can handle them I would do discus more then angels. My angels don't like some of the plants I put into my tank which are mainly Amazon Swords. They would take big chunks out of them.

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
I do have a bunch of Angels in a 35 right now, I'm waiting for them to pair up. It should still be a couple months, at least, until they do. I have 8 of them, and I don't plan on putting all 6 into the 100. At least not long term. I have two that are significantly bigger than the rest of them - Even if those two don't end up pairing, I'll still keep them. They're gorgeous. Then I have 3 others that I really like. The rest will be sold. The Angels are getting along very nicely with all the plants in their tank :)

I don't think Neon Tetras or Cories would work, mostly because of the Bichirs. Cories especially would be tempting them, swimming around their faces all day. When I had put in those small feeders, it was the Bichirs that ate them. They would float up top and wait for one to swim right in front of their nose. I think that the fish would need to be German Blue Ram size at purchase, as the absolute smallest.
I think the Pearl Gouramis are cool looking, as with the Apistogrammas. Are they aggressive enough to hold their own against the big fish? I don't have much money, I'd hate to drop $20 on some fish to just have them end up as snacks.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
geayi are nice eartheaters,,, a tad aggressive,,, but if you get them so they arent much bigger than your rams it should be ok.... and no they arent very expensive,,,,at least around here:popcorn: festivum might work real well too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store