Short Body Oscar

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Are you a breeder? You're telling me you think breeding animals for exaggerated traits is wrong? Have you ever been to a fish store?
In other words this is a very naieve response from a beginning fishkeeper.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Eh, really depends what you breed for. I look for great coloration and excellent form and always cull any fish with deformities that relate to body form such as "short-bodied" fish. Sure, there's a weird market for them, but it's the same type of market that covets tattooed fish.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
To the OP having a personal preference and personal feelings about what a fish breeder would do doesn't make someone naive. Fish on Fire stated something that a lot of responsible breeders would do, which is far more likely than line breeding for the short body trait. I also agree with ecoli73 I personally don't see the short body trait being expressed to any great degree, which you would see in a line bred fish. So it stands to reason since the Oscar is barely expressing the short body trait and it was in a mass shipment of regular Oscars it's a deformed Oscar not a line bred short body. That's just a far more logical conclusion. Mind you this is coming from someone who likes the short body trait expressed on certain fish.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
To the OP having a personal preference and personal feelings about what a fish breeder would do doesn't make someone naive. Fish on Fire stated something that a lot of responsible breeders would do, which is far more likely than line breeding for the short body trait. I also agree with ecoli73 I personally don't see the short body trait being expressed to any great degree, which you would see in a line bred fish. So it stands to reason since the Oscar is barely expressing the short body trait and it was in a mass shipment of regular Oscars it's a deformed Oscar not a line bred short body. That's just a far more logical conclusion. Mind you this is coming from someone who likes the short body trait expressed on certain fish.
This. :iagree:

And some people need to watch their words before they spin this thread into wild fire. Thanks.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Agreed 1000%

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
This. :iagree:

And some people need to watch their words before they spin this thread into wild fire. Thanks.
Agreed 2000%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store