Check your local stoneyard/quarry for cheap rocks

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
I just went to one of the local brick and stone yards looming for some rocks for my 55 and my 30. The prices were great around 20 centsa pound. I told the guy what I wanted and why he said grab what I want as long as I don't go over 100 pounds its not worth doing paperwork! I didn't want to be greedy so I got about 60 pounds of slate for free decent shades and shapes too.

Long live the king

"Stand for something of fall for anything"

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Father-In-Law runs a gravel/sand pit, I get a lot of cool rocks from him. In his pit there is a lot of white granite and quartz pieces, in the pit closer to where I live there are tons of red granite with quartz pieces. My summers are spent just walking the pits looking for cool rocks, drives my husband nuts! I found this really cool round rock last summer, the size and shape of a baseball and super smooth.

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
I scrubbed them with a wire brush then poured some boiling water over them. I'm going to clean/water change my tanks tommorow then put them in. Still looking for some fake plants so my cichlids don't tear them up like the did my pothos.

Long live the king

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
I saw alot of "flagstone" with lots of colors but they had lines in them which I assumed were mineral deposits so I skipped them. I heard granite was bad in aquariums.
Long live the king

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
Cool. You know you can make a sig instead of copying and pasting, right?

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
lol, I always go to my local metropark and get slate for free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store