Silver tips contain thiaminase?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
It's my (admittedly uninformed) understanding that these little fish I've been buying as snake feeders from my LFS, "silver tips", are tetras of some kind. At least they look it. Anyway, do they contain thiaminase? It dawned on me that I just sort of assumed they didn't cause I hadn't heard that they were a type of fish that does.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I've never heard of feeders called this - There are "Silver Tip Tetras" but those are usually sold as community fish. This has me curious!

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
From what I understood, coldwater/temperate fishes (goldfish FW, SW anchovy) happen contain a lot more thiaminase than tropical fishes. I think most organisms contain it just in different levels. Heck, even plants have it.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I've never heard of feeders called this - There are "Silver Tip Tetras" but those are usually sold as community fish. This has me curious!
Oh nah that's exactly what they are. They're meant as community fish. I buy them in bulk as snake feeders.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Generally the only fish that contain a relatively large amount of thiaminase are cyprinids - Smelt, Goldfish etc. Salmonids and tetras contain almost no thiaminase.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store