Kmno4 and H202 to improve water quality

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I'm planning to use Kmno4 (Potassium permanganate ) and H202 (hydrogen peroxide ) to oxidize my tanks dissolved organic matter .
Planning to occasionally use them, maybe once every 2 months?

i trie3d a few days ago in my arowana tanks.
I dropped some PP, enough to turn my water pink for only a few minutes, after wards, i added some H202 to neutralize the PP, before that i disconnected my filters and removed some dirt from my tank and also all decorations, So far my arowanas seem to be quite happy?
while using PP i increased the aeration in the tank
anybody tried this?

btw for H2o2, Can i use it alone to oxidize dissolved organic matter?
I have a tank with clown loaches, will clown loaches be ok with a little H2o2?
planning to use only a small amount. not sure how much yet though, any tips and advise?

thanks.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
A water change would be a much better alternative than adding chemicals to your aquarium water. Or you could use SeaChem's purigen. It removes organics from the water.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
btw does purigen remove dissolved organic matters?
just thought I could maybe add this occassionally to my regular weekly water changes. since it also seems to polish the water?also a little PP and H202 is quite cheap , was hoping i can use just a little without doing harm to my fish.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks, btw I'm curious, if i use purigen for my sump, then, forgot to recharge, or Did not have replacement purigen, will ther ebe an ammonia spike, or will my tank cycle? since there might not be ammonia/nitrite for the cycle if the purigen eliminates them?

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
thanks, btw I'm curious, if i use purigen for my sump, then, forgot to recharge, or Did not have replacement purigen, will ther ebe an ammonia spike, or will my tank cycle? since there might not be ammonia/nitrite for the cycle if the purigen eliminates them?
Good question. I don't think it will take out so much ammonia as to kill off the beneficial bacteria.

As for your first question. If your tank has slightly acidic water you should be alright but if it is more alkaline then you might want to be careful since manganese dioxide can be produced which is most likely not good for fish over a long period of time. I take it you're a chemistry fan?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store