My Crazy Stock Combination And The Results

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
This is just for anyone who's curious about compatibility for the species discussed.

75 Gallon

I'll list the stock by scientifc names and by common names.

1X - 9" Male vieja synspila
1X - 7" Female vieja synspila
1X - 5" synodontis ocellifer
1X - 4" Male orthochromis stormsi
1X - 4" Male benitochromis finleyi
1X - 4" polypterus senegalus
1X - 3" astronotus ocellatus
1X - 3" glossolepis incisus
1X - 3" Male melanotaenia boesemani
1X - 2" Female melanotaenia boesemani
3X - 1" pseudotropheus aurora

1X - 9" Male Redhead Cichlid
1X - 7" Female Redhead Cichlid
1X - 5" Ocellated Synodontis
1X - 4" Male o. stormsi (west african goby-type cichlid)
1X - 4" Male Finley's Cichlid
1X - 4" Senegal Bichir
1X - 3" Oscar
1X - 3" Red Rainbowfish
1X - 3" Male Boesemani Rainbowfish
1X - 2" Female Boesemani Rainbowfish
3X - 1" Aurora Cichlid

The oscar, the finley's cichlid, and the mbuna, are getting nipped. The oscar is eating most of the food I put in the tank. Everyone else is just cleaning up his mess, or grabbing a quick lucky snack. I rarely see the male vieja eat, and it's starting to be a concern. I will be splitting them up just because of the oscar's appetite, not for any aggression issues.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
The tank is severely overstocked when everything hits full size. You can't have 2 large vieja species, red heads getting upto 16" and an oscar (14") in a 75g

My vieja Bifasciatus that was only 7" beat the **** out of everything in my 225 and he had all the space he could possibly want. He also almost killed my oscar and removed one of his eyes.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
This isn't a permanent home for these fish by any means! Of course the oscar and viejas will have to be moved to a bigger tank. As far as vieja aggresion, this species doesn't seem to exhibit much. The breeder I got them from noted the same thing.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
alot of people complain about vieja aggression but i've never had any problem with them, i've kept fenestratus with oscars before without a problem....but it might also be that they were both females

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The oscar is eating most of the food I put in the tank. Everyone else is just cleaning up his mess, or grabbing a quick lucky snack. I rarely see the male vieja eat, and it's starting to be a concern. I will be splitting them up just because of the oscar's appetite, not for any aggression issues.
I'm unclear how a 3" fish Oscar can eat most of the food if it's not for aggression issues. Is he being hand fed? Can the food not be put at opposite ends of the tank?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Ha! For a second there I thought each list was a new set of fish you had in there. Got'cha now.

Interesting combo, I wouldn't generally think of putting rainbows with larger predatory cichlids, but I guess they are fast enough moving they should be alright for a while I would think.

Feed on both ends of the tank at the same time. Just a thought. Or dump it next to the power head so it gets blown around the tank so more fish are able to get it.

Copious amounts of water changes. . . .the very least you should be doing. Good luck with it all, hope the chaos doesn't break loose before you can split them up.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
low75c.jpglow75d.jpglow75a.jpglow75b.jpg

low75c.jpg

low75d.jpg

low75a.jpg

low75b.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com