Shrimp

Aussie944S

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Australia
Guys
Wondering if I would be able to add scavanger type shrimp to my tank to help clean up the little crumbs.
Tank stock is 2x barramundi, 1x jag and 1x Oscar all well over 9 inches.
Tank is 5x2.5x2.5ft with 4000lts of filtration

Sent from my U30GT-H using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
No reason you cant add them, just dont expect them to last longer than a week or so, considering shrimp is on the menu for all those fish...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Most likely a few might survive a little while, but i would guess the majority will be gone in a few days depending on how hungry the fish are...

Also, if you decide to add in that many shrimp, it might be an idea to do it at night after the lights are off to give some of the shrimp a chance to find a hiding spot before they end up on the dinner menu..

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
Wow! Your fish will be very happy. As Homer said, add them at night. Add them the night that they are full so they will lose interest hunting them down to extinction the morning after. Also, if you decide to add shrimps, make sure that they are small enough that the crown of the tail section is not rigid enough to hurt your fish's throat. Shrimp aside, your real problem arises from having messy eaters (Oscar being the root of all this evil). Rearrange your decor and filter inlet such that there are no dead areas where there is no or little circulation. Feed what they can consume in less than 30 seconds or a minute per round. This will increase food consumption and efficiency. Feed sparingly at a wide interval.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
I'm thinking about putting aussie in a pit with a bunch of hungry lions, cougars, bears, tigers, and wild dogs. Just to help clean up their poop... Do you think they will eat him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store