Killing off Algae

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
I Jusr posted this in this section due to I need an answer quick, I have a torch coral and a button polyp and there is a bit of algae on my live rock I'm just curious that If I only leave the light on for 3 hours and turn it off for the rest will the corals survive until the algae goes?

By the way I'm using AI Sol Blue lights and the tanks a 20g

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I'm not sure if it's hair algae, It's brown instead of green.
If it's Brown then it's probably a silicate issue. Get a phosphate test kit. You shouldn't be without one. It could be phosphate but I think if it was you would have hair algae and slime algae too. Check your ro water to see if your filters are bad. You might need to change them. There are a lot of things you can try to get rid of algae before you cut your photoperiod by that much

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I Jusr posted this in this section due to I need an answer quick, I have a torch coral and a button polyp and there is a bit of algae on my live rock I'm just curious that If I only leave the light on for 3 hours and turn it off for the rest will the corals survive until the algae goes?

By the way I'm using AI Sol Blue lights and the tanks a 20g
Probably not - corals need at least 8 hrs of intense light esp new to tank corals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store