Quick question about wood in the tank..

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
Im assuming it has been tried before, so I figured I would ask. I know when looking for ideal wood for the tank, it needs to be hard, no bark, etc.. But what happens if you were to just put in thats not "ideal"? I have been on the lookout for wood along the riverbanks and lakeshores around where I live, and I find alot of awesome wood and stumps that would look fantastic in my tank, but the wood isnt perfect. There are some areas where the wood has begun to go soft, and so on.

My question is, what happens if you put that in your tank? What are the negatives? Is it possible with certain situations? Or is it best kept perfect or none at all?

Thanks alot!!!

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
(also throwing something in that you "found" or that isn't properly sterilized can introduce fungi, insects and other nasties into your ecosystem)

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
(also throwing something in that you "found" or that isn't properly sterilized can introduce fungi, insects and other nasties into your ecosystem)
Yes I realize that, anything that goes into my tank gets boiled beforehand. I know you can put wood into your tank that you "FIND", same with rocks, etc.

I just wanted to know if anybody had done this before with wood.. that isnt quite "perfect", which the 30 page PDF didnt answer. A simple yes or no would have been much easier for you, and easier for me to understand. :)

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
Ive been adding wood pieces that i have found along local streams for years and have never had any negative affects. I just give them a rinse and scrub in fresh water and put them in! Here's a pic of my most recent piece i put in my 120.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1358189685733.jpg

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
Ive been adding wood pieces that i have found along local streams for years and have never had any negative affects. I just give them a rinse and scrub in fresh water and put them in! Here's a pic of my most recent piece i put in my 120.

1st off... your tank looks fantastic!

2nd... does the wood you collect ever have soft spots? or is it always HARD wood? (not hard or soft wood (oak vs. pine), but as in any decayed spots, or spots of rot?

mbrudnicki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mchesney Park Illinois
I have been using wood I find also. I keep the hard wood, not the mushy stuff. I just give it a good rinse and then soak in a bucket of dechlorinated water for a couple of days. Through out those couple of days when the water in the bucket is discolored I replace the water. Once the water is pretty clear in the bucket I put the wood in my tank.

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
More times than not, the wood is still submerged in the streams i kayak. It is soft, and fully waterlogged. I have also collected many native species from these streams and they are strong and healthy, so im never overly concerned about adding wood and rocks from them to my tanks. I have also collected hard dry driftwood and find it more of a pain since it is so bouyant.

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
More times than not, the wood is still submerged in the streams i kayak. It is soft, and fully waterlogged. I have also collected many native species from these streams and they are strong and healthy, so im never overly concerned about adding wood and rocks from them to my tanks. I have also collected hard dry driftwood and find it more of a pain since it is so bouyant.

Pefect! Thank you much!!!! Im going wood huntin.. haha!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store