8 bulbs on a 90 gallon?

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
Alright so i finally got the 90 up and going currently all i have (lighting) is a 24'' double t5 (from my 20) just to put some light in the tank for now. But im looking at getting 2 of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-216W-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-LCD-Timer-Coral-Reef-4x54-Fluorescent-Actinic-/400362053552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d37701fb0

I think that 8 - T5 HOs will be more than enough to support any type of coral in the tank. Is that right?

I realize the bulbs that are included with this probably arent the best but they can be changed out at a later date. And since this is all going to be under a hood i really dont care about how they look. But they do have a built in timer. which will save me on space. What do you guys think will this work?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Alright so i finally got the 90 up and going currently all i have (lighting) is a 24'' double t5 (from my 20) just to put some light in the tank for now. But im looking at getting 2 of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-216W-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-LCD-Timer-Coral-Reef-4x54-Fluorescent-Actinic-/400362053552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d37701fb0

I think that 8 - T5 HOs will be more than enough to support any type of coral in the tank. Is that right?

I realize the bulbs that are included with this probably arent the best but they can be changed out at a later date. And since this is all going to be under a hood i really dont care about how they look. But they do have a built in timer. which will save me on space. What do you guys think will this work?
Thats really only going to be enough light to keep low to medium light corals. Your only going to have 4.8wpg so any SPS is going to be out of the question. I currently have 6 bulbs on my 40gal and I can grow anything. I would get this fixture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-T5-HO-AQ...411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccdc174e3

It would give you plenty of light for lower light SPS and its a little better quality. AS for bulbs I would definately ditch the stock bulbs and go for ATI,KZ and GE. I would do front to back, ATI blue +,Ge6500k,ATI Coral +,ATI blue+,ATI coral+,KZ fiji purple,ATI coral+,Ge6500k,ATI blue+,KZ fiji purple. That should give you good coloration on your fish and corals that you put in the tank. The only bad thing about this fixture is that it doesnt come with a timer like you were looking for. That is what I would do if it was my tank

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
Hey thanks man. I didnt even realize that they had a 10 bulb fixture. I wanted to go with 2 6 bulbs but the measurements were off by just to much to make it fit. But this would work. And thanks for the layout of the bulbs. Ive was running the coralife on my 2 and never really cared for the actinic that it came with.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Hey thanks man. I didnt even realize that they had a 10 bulb fixture. I wanted to go with 2 6 bulbs but the measurements were off by just to much to make it fit. But this would work. And thanks for the layout of the bulbs. Ive was running the coralife on my 2 and never really cared for the actinic that it came with.
The bulbs are fairly expensive but they are so worth it

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store