Best ways to prepare your aquarium driftwood

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I wanted to make a thread about the best and fasted way to get your driftwood to sink, and to leach out alot of the tannins. I want this to be a thread where you post what you have found to work best. Decided to start this because i got a shipment of manzanita wood. In november and was soakin it changin water mostly evry day, and usin hot water. But the water is still dark. So any advice for my situacion is much apreciated, and please feel free to post the way you prefer to do it to make the wood sink and have less tannins fast, id love to hear evryones tips and teqniches

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

goosej13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Canada
I got a big pot and boiled it over a fire.. drilled some holes in a piece of flag stone then screwed it in and dropped it in. Been in my tank for 5 years now

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Boiling it over fire / soaking it in a large tub tends to be the most common practice...

Then if over time it doesnt want to stay down on its own, tying a piece of slate / rock to the wood using some fishing line tends to be the next beat thing...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dan Walker

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2013
maryland
How about using a pressure cooker to boil it? Anyone done this before, I got one and was wondering myself if it would work quickly on a few smaller peices.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I stacked 80 lbs of rocks on my wood for the 245G. my 90G I put in 5 pieces of wood and only one sank, 2 years later and now 4 pieces float. I use the sinker to hold down some, and rocks to hold down one end of some of the floaters, letting the other end float. in the 55G I used mopani wood, that doesn't float.
as far as pre-tank prep, at the most I put them in the sun under clear plastic for a few days, or just rinse it.

:headbang2 tannins :headbang2

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I stacked 80 lbs of rocks on my wood for the 245G. my 90G I put in 5 pieces of wood and only one sank, 2 years later and now 4 pieces float. I use the sinker to hold down some, and rocks to hold down one end of some of the floaters, letting the other end float. in the 55G I used mopani wood, that doesn't float.
as far as pre-tank prep, at the most I put them in the sun under clear plastic for a few days, or just rinse it.

:headbang2 tannins :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store